From: rich on
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:37:12 -0700, Owain wrote:

> On 8 June, 16:46, rich wrote:
>> Just tried Evince in Linux Mint 9 and I did find a problem with it. A
>> simple pdf printed but more complicated - a landscape page from a
>> magazine failed. Don't know why. Maybe the same with Adobe.
>
> Okayyy.... I can print web pages from Firefox.
>
> I can print 4 pages of a 16 page PDF from Firefox with the Acrobat plug
> in. I can print from disk using file:// in acrobat. Which is a pain, but
> a work-around.

Beats me, I wonder if these are bypassing the spooler, maybe someone here
can give an answer.

>> Go to the printer administration and check that under the server
>> settings "Publish shared printers ...." is enabled. Same for your
>> printer, in settings, policies enable "Shared"
>
> There's a button on the CUPS internal web page that says 'unpublish
> printer' so I assume it is published?

Always dangerous to assume anything, but in this case you are probably
correct.

>> Are there any error messages that might give a clue?
>
> Sadly not. The jobs list as completed in 'completed job view' but don't
> pop out the printer - AFAICS from the printer lights they don't make it
> to the printer BICBW
>
>> Out of interest, which printer driver (its on your printer test page)
>> are you using?
>> I can't see much available for a KonicaMinolta printer setup.
>
> Would that be foomatic?

It almost has to be for your printer, in particular it is the foo2zjs
package.

These references are old but might be worth a try.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113444&page=2
this one says not to use the KonicaMinolta driver, use the Minolta driver.

http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
This is just background on the driver.

If you need to test you can always have the same physical printer
installed more than once but using different drivers, just give it a
different name during setup. I have a Canon inkjet that uses a canon
driver (very mediocre) and a better turboprint driver, when I come to
print I can select either.
Which brings me to clutching at straws, the latest ghostscript 8.71 is
buggy and breaks my turboprint driver, sorted by downgrading to ver 8.62.
Might be worth a try although you will have to seek out an alternative
repository (maybe debian - lenny)

If you already have not done so, maybe try the hardware section on the
Ubuntu forum, a pretty intolerent bunch there but thats Ubuntu.

--
rich
From: Nigel Wade on

Is there anything useful in the CUPS log files, usually located in /var/
log/cups? At least that's where they on my systems, I don't know where,
or if, Ubuntu records that info.

--
Nigel Wade
From: chris on
On 01/06/10 15:30, Owain wrote:
> Ubuntu 9.04 and a Konica 2430 DL on USB
>
> I can get a Ubuntu test page from the printer management screen (GPL
> Postscript version 3010 revision 864) and I can print from Firefox.
>
> I cannot print PDFs from either Acrobat or Evince. The print jobs show
> up as completed in the print jobs list.

Interestingly, I've just had this happen to me. More specifically it's
just one page in a PDF document that refuses to print. When the print
job reaches that page, it simply stops and disappears from the queue
with no errors.

This is in Centos 5.5 and Acroread 9.3.2 (and BTW I get the same on my Mac).
From: Owain on
On 11 June, 16:03, chris wrote:
> > I can get a Ubuntu test page from the printer management screen (GPL
> > Postscript version 3010 revision 864) and I can print from Firefox.
> > I cannot print PDFs from either Acrobat or Evince. The print jobs show
> > up as completed in the print jobs list.
> Interestingly, I've just had this happen to me. More specifically it's
> just one page in a PDF document that refuses to print. When the print
> job reaches that page, it simply stops and disappears from the queue
> with no errors.
> This is in Centos 5.5 and Acroread 9.3.2 (and BTW I get the same on my Mac).

Acroread 9.3.2 here too!

Owain

From: Owain on
Well, I'm not sure why, but I installed a new printer using a network
connection instead of USB, and set the printer up as a IPP printer.

Seems to work so far <touch wood>

Owain

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4