From: E. Hill on
> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
> way to send that through an analog audio snake?

In theory, yes. For serial, you need 5 pins (including ground). So, it could
be done using the wires from two channels.

We've been running aux-fed subs via the DCX2496 for awhile now. (A and B are
left and right, C is the aux fed sub). Works fine. I setup the rig with the
software. The UI on the screen seemed too complicated.

Eric

From: ericwhit on

promo_john(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
> way to send that through an analog audio snake?

Dead easy with the DBX unit as i have done this for 2 yrs over a 150 ft
whirlwind snake with not 1 problem -ever. the dbx units came with a
null modem cable, if you dont have it then get one or make one. Here is
how you wire it and only 3 wires needed..

DB9 at one end to XLR ~~ from XLR
To other DB9 end
pin 2 pin 2 ~~ pin2
pin3
pin3 pin 3 ~~ pin3
pin2
pin5 pin1 ~~ pin1
pin5

yes the pin 2 and 3 of the Db9 connector get swapped

From: E. Hill on
> 232 doesn't travel well over long distances.

We run serial connections 100's of feet in commerical applications to run
dumb terminals. In fact, for years we ran silver satin (which looks like
6-conductor flat telephone cable). Didn't even use twisted-pair. Works fine.
I think the fastest we ever went was 38,400. No error correction, either.

When we moved to twisted-pair, there *wasn't* any noticable improvement.
But, as everything is being run CAT-5 or 6 these days, it's a better
investment for the end-user.

I would try it... Just make a couple of pig-tail adapters that use two
channels. Get a couple of 9-pin serial cables, and cut one end off. Attach
the XLR's.

Eric

From: E. Hill on
What happened to DTR and CTS? lol.

The DCX manual doesn't state if the port uses flow control or not. I would
try it without flow control first, as you can use one XLR.

Eric

From: brad.parker79 on
Hello,

Marc Amsterdam wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2006 07:43:22 -0700, promo_john(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> >Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
> >way to send that through an analog audio snake?

> >jp

> the unit has RS 232 which travels roughly about 15 meters before the
> signal deteriorates to much.

In theory yes RS 232 should only work around that distance , in
practice I routinely talk to Ashly Protea 4.24ds using returns on a
150' snake.

No problems.

I've also gone the distance with the QSC DSP-3 and DSP-4.

Again, no problems.

The above devices talk at 38.4 kbaud and I can easily make adjustments
in "real time" while running the system. I'll speculate that the RS
232 spec for distance may be true at 115 kbaud, but I've never had a
problem with the above units.

I have a DCX 2496, but haven't tried across the snake with it yet, I
ususally just dial it in from the front panel. I believe it will work
as well, but can't say for sure.

> it also has RS 485 which travels up to a 1000 meters over standard
> xlr cabling ( advised to terminate the v- and v+ with 110 ohm

Something I have wanted to try is to use the RS 485 to make a network
of DCX 2496s. One thing I don't care for w/ the Ashly units is that I
routinely run 2 and sometimes 3 controllers. I have to use a channel
for each serial connection, or visit one of the units w/ a laptop in
hand.

With the DCX one should be able to link to the first unit using a RS
232 connection and then talk to the other units using a daisy chain of
properly terminated RS 485 connections. This with one channel on the
snake carrying the serial signal. Has anybody here tried this?

Brad