From: RyanL on

On Oct 27, 10:43 am, promo_j...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
> way to send that through an analog audio snake?

I have a Driverack 260 that I do this with routinely. The DR260 isn't
picky about CTS/RTS but needs a null modem connection (which is just
switching pins 2 and 3 the Transmit and Receive pins). Sometimes the
handshake pins are x-wired too.

I don't think the DCX requires a null modem, but it is a bit pickier
about handshaking (RTS/CTS).

Here is a diagram of a null modem cable *without* handshaking.
http://www.airborn.com.au/serial/rs232d.gif

I think you would need to do a similar thing BUT wire pins 2 and 3
straight through. This diagram shows them crossed (look closely).
Note, the key here is that some of the pins are looped back and held
high (or low as the case may be). I think that effectively turns off
handshaking.

From: Earl Grey on
Marc Amsterdam wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2006 07:43:22 -0700, promo_john(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
>> way to send that through an analog audio snake?
>>
>> jp
>
> the unit has rs 232 which travels roughly about 15 meters before the
> signal deteriorates to much.
> it also has RS 485 which travels up to a 1000 meters over standard
> xlr cabling ( advised to terminate the v- and v+ with 110 ohm
> resistor)
> for rs485 you need a converter that "translates" rs 232 to rs 485
> the defacto standard converter used for XTA ( yes yes in know,
> expensive) is the KK systems K2 and for use with usb to rs232 dongle a
> K2 ADE ( Automatic Device Enable) is needed.
>
> also there are manufacturers like Quatech that make a PCMCIA rs485
> card but the KK systems is by far more flexible for what you need to
> do with it and have proven reliability.
> if you need to use a usb to serial converter Quatech has one as has
> ATEN ( UC232a)
> but pretty much any industry standard converter will work.
> i make use of a Palm usb kit that came with my old and long gone palm
> 3c handheld and it works fine, ,minded that XTA's are not very picky
> about the RS signal it gets fed
>
> another option is to go wireless with a WISER2400 radio system from
> OTC but the you are in a pric range that exceeds the price of a single
> unit of a dcx by far.
>
> a KK systems K2ade + usb dongle + a xlr to rj45 cable can be obtained
> from XTA as a complete kit for around 160 pounds. or you can find
> yourself the parts cheaper and solder them
>

> The wiring for the 9 pin D-type to 3 pin XLR is as follows:
> D-type XLR
> 1 1
> 3 2
> 8 3
>

> links
>
> http://www.kksystems.com/
>

> http://www.quatech.com/products/mobile_connectivity.php
>
> www.xta.co.uk
>
> cheers
>
> Marc

I use the Moxa DE-311 ethernet to serial interface with xta xovers, most
laptops have ethernet built in.
It doesn't go down a snake line, which is a disadvantage, but you can
use a wifi AP with it if you want wireless.
You can use it as an rs485 converter, if you do want to put rs485 down
the snake.
It should work with any serial control program for a DCX or whatever if
you run a serial port redirector
From: Tim Padrick on
"RyanL" <ryanlantzy(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Oct 27, 10:43 am, promo_j...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
>> way to send that through an analog audio snake?
>
> I have a Driverack 260 that I do this with routinely. The DR260 isn't
> picky about CTS/RTS but needs a null modem connection (which is just
> switching pins 2 and 3 the Transmit and Receive pins). Sometimes the
> handshake pins are x-wired too.
>
> I don't think the DCX requires a null modem, but it is a bit pickier
> about handshaking (RTS/CTS).
>
> Here is a diagram of a null modem cable *without* handshaking.
> http://www.airborn.com.au/serial/rs232d.gif
>
> I think you would need to do a similar thing BUT wire pins 2 and 3
> straight through. This diagram shows them crossed (look closely).
> Note, the key here is that some of the pins are looped back and held
> high (or low as the case may be). I think that effectively turns off
> handshaking.

I've run networked DR480s via serial over 170' of mic line with no troubles.
It's quite common, and certainly worth a try with any RS232 unit. If it
doesn't work, try swapping pins 2 and 3 on one end.

From: Adair Witner on
<promo_john(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
> way to send that through an analog audio snake?

I have extended RS-232 over a hundred feet on cat5e and cat3.. no problems
for me..

Adair

From: Mike Miller on

>> Thanks. I see that computer control is through an RS232. Is there any
>> way to send that through an analog audio snake?
>
> Not that I know of but some people might know a way. Personally I don't
> see why you would need to as the unit is pretty much set and forget and
> shouldn't need touching during a gig.

With a DCX2496, you can't make changes during a performance. Applying any
changes on this box momenarily interrupts the audio output. Not something
you'd want to do during a show.

Mike