From: rhyde on
On Aug 26, 11:08 am, Betov <be...(a)free.fr> wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer <k...(a)unibwm.de> écrivait news:46D1AE4C.C2324A88
> @unibwm.de:
>
> > Maybe this has nothing to do with "free works" but is because
> > they don't have to make a living from there work and therefore
> > are free to make a proper design and don't have to implement
> > a crappy interface just because the paying user wants it.
>
> How ridiculously arrogant!

>From the guy who violates the Windows User Interface because he thinks
his version is better.

>From the guy who tells us that the Intel Syntax is bad.

Tell us more, oh hypocrite!
hLater,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on
On Aug 26, 10:51 am, Betov <be...(a)free.fr> wrote:
> santosh <santosh....(a)gmail.com> écrivaitnews:fas8it$v8o$1(a)aioe.org:
>
> > To use a car, you need to learn to drive. To use a TV, you need to
> > learn the button. To use an oven, you need to learn baking, to use a
> > shaving set, you need to learn shaving, to use a can opener, you need
> > to learn a can opener, to use Windows, you need to learn Windows, ad
> > nauseum, ....
>
> To use an OS, one has to learn what a Mouse is, and how to
> use a keyboard. Learning the convention of a Command-Line:
> No. Not since the death of DOS, for sure.

Only if you define an OS as "Windows" or, maybe "Mac OS".
For your information, there are many other OSes other there that don't
use what you consider to be a "100% intuitive UI." Indeed, the poor
Windows or Mac OS user who never bothers to learn a shell (command-
line) utility of some sort are really short-changing themselves. How
much better the Mac OS became when they switched to OS X (a BSD/Unix
variant) and it was finally possible to do *real* command-line
operations in the OS! GUIs are wonderful for many things, but they
are not useful for *everything*.

> > As I said desktops like KDE and GNOME have made basic usage as
> > friendly, IMHO, as for Windows.
>
> No. Also, if there exist *two*, one must be destroyed.

Yes, this seems to be your attitude about everything. And, of course,
if you've created one of the products, you feel that all the others
must be destroyed.

Earth to Rene -- people have different tastes. Despite your desire to
be the fascist dictator that tells everyone what things are and how
they should use them, the world works quite nicely with a wide range
of choices.

Sure, it would be nice if you only had to develop your software for
*one* system. Alas, the world isn't like that. The mere fact that you
are messing around with Linux (finally) demonstrates that you've come
to accept the fact that there will never be a single platform that
people use. Get used to it. It applies to GUI environments (e.g., KDE
and GNOME) as well.

> > Yes KDE and GNOME _are_ slow. No question about that. But they are not
> > Linux itself. Linux is, strictly speaking, just the kernel. Together
> > with GNU's C library, compiler and fundamental utilities, it forms a
> > clean, lean OS.
>
> :))
>
> Do you see how these words are absurd?

To someone who is ignorant, yes.

> > It was not a bug. It was incorrect usage by the user. *sudo* asks for
> > _your_ password, _not_ the root password.
>
> You like it or not, this _is_ a bug.

Yes, any time you can't accomplish something the way *you* feel it
should be done, it's a bug in the software, eh?

Why don't you learn the basics of Linux before complaining about bugs
in the system?

> There is no difference in
> between root and the password, under Ubuntu.

This sentence doesn't even make sense. Learn the basics of Linux and
quit embarassing yourself.

> It was accepting
> the password at boot, and refusing it for any action requireing
> it. I had to re-boot in rescue mode, to change the password, for
> a simpler one, and then it was OK.

No, you didn't have to do this. This was the *first* solution to your
problem you got to work because you've never bothered reading about
how Linux works and you've not spent enough time with the system.

Hint: though it is totally against your nature, you might try *buying*
a comple of books on Linux system adminstration and *reading* them
before complaining about how the system doesn't work the way you
expect it to.

> There are not two passwords,
> here. I see two tracks for the bug hunt: 1) The first password i
> choosed was not pleasing the second stage, and a simpler one did
> it. 2) There might have been keyboard confusion (Azerty <> Querty),
> at the first boot.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

> No. 2000 here, and i have absolutely no intention of buying
> anything else. 2000 works fine, and the only problem i have
> with it is that i am ashamed of having given money to MS for
> it, after having already given money for 95. So, do not put
> your finger where it hurts. :))

So switch back to 95 :-)

> > You can setup associations for this in your file manager. Just create
> > a new association that any file with a '.exe' extension should be run
> > from the command-line by wine.
>
> Probably. Mind you, i searched for this, yesterday, and never
> found out how to do it.

Yet, in your infinite wisdom, you started posting away about "defects
in the system" as though you were an expert on the subject. Ah! The
truth comes out -- you've not bothered to RTFM. Go buy a book. And
read it.

> Today, even though i did *not* set it,
> this option installed itself, so that i can just double-click
> upon an icon for a run... How? Why? No idea.

Buy a book, read it. You'll learn the how and the why of all of this.

> More than that,
> since this click-job works... the Application itself does no
> more work like it was used to. You know what? There is a Troll
> inside Linux, who hates me, and who plays bad jokes to me !!!

Yes, that's it! There's a troll inside Linux. It's not your fault
because you've never bothered to *learn* anything about Linux. It's
never your fault. It's the troll inside Linux, that's it!
hLater,
Randy Hyde

From: Wolfgang Kern on

Robert Redelmeier mentioned:

> Yes. There is supposed to be the LSB (Linux Standards Base)
> which describes where different distros should put things.
> I'm not sure it's well adhered to.

Where is this "Standards Base" to be found ?
What are the standard API calls and which are mandatory ... ?

Google shows me tons of worksheets in all HLL slangs, but
where is the definition of what's valid and finalised ?

My KESYS use an API somehow similar to Linux (except for parameter
pushing and protected INT-calls), so I may be able to emulate Linux
but within the GUI of of my OS.

__
wolfgang

From: santosh on

<http://www.linuxbase.org/en/LSB>

<http://www.unix.org/version3/>

> Google shows me tons of worksheets in all HLL slangs, but
> where is the definition of what's valid and finalised ?

These are valid, but they are all ongoing efforts, specially the Linux
Standards Base standard, the first link above.

> My KESYS use an API somehow similar to Linux (except for parameter
> pushing and protected INT-calls), so I may be able to emulate Linux
> but within the GUI of of my OS.

Basically, to emulate Linux, you have to implement most of the calls
mentioned in the Single Unix Specification v3, i.e. the second link above.

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Betov wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> �crivait news:46D1AE4C.C2324A88

> > Maybe this has nothing to do with "free works" but is because
> > they don't have to make a living from there work and therefore
> > are free to make a proper design and don't have to implement
> > a crappy interface just because the paying user wants it.
>
> How ridiculously arrogant!

You really should start to provide arguments instead of
your opinion. Didn't you implement RosAsm's user interface
in a way you prefer and which greatly differs from the
preference of most assembly programmers? How ridiculously arrogant!

PS: If the installed help files and man pages are not sufficient,
you can also use the online help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo