From: cmk128 on
Hi
I am currently not quite understanding how to do the relocation of
the ELF format, so do you have any good tutorial?
thanks
from Peter (cmk128(a)hotmail.com)

From: Frank Kotler on
cmk128(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi
> I am currently not quite understanding how to do the relocation of
> the ELF format, so do you have any good tutorial?

Hi Peter,

Not strictly about "relocations", but there's info about the ELF format,
including the ELF spec in text format, here:

http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html

More advanced analysis here:

http://www.mpeforth.com/arena/cwgtLinux.txt

The latter is, strictly speaking, "about" writing a Forth compiler, but
it's done by a "hand-made" ELF - including dynamic linking!

Source for the Linux loader is in /usr/src/linux/fs/binfmt_elf.c.

Maybe something somewhere in there will be of help.

Best,
Frank
From: Terence on
>. Ah, good old DOS days... ;

Well, happilly, they're still here. Don't know what I would do without
them. :o)>=

From: santosh on
Frank Kotler wrote:

> Betov wrote:

<snip>

>> Second day: Downloading/installing WINE: OK.

<snip>

>> But it cannot associate
>> a given file to itself (???!!!...). Works fine, otherwize, even if i
>> still do not know *where* it is (!!!): Linux = the System that makes
>> the user free from his computer (!!!). :))
>
> Ought to be where you put it, if you did "./configure
> prefix=betovs/preferred/directory" before "make install". Try
> /usr/local/share", as a wild-asmed guess - I think /usr/opt
> (/usr/local/opt ?) may be the more "modern" version(?). "which wine"
> ought to tell you where the executable is, at least.

Also 'whereis wine'. If Betov installed wine from a distribution package,
it's likely to
be /usr/bin, /usr/lib/wine, /usr/share/wine, /usr/share/doc/wine etc.
Also he should do 'man wine'.

From: Jim Carlock on
Just some curious questions, as I don't have a working Linux system
anywhere near me.

Most apps inside Linux are console apps, right?

And for the apps that draw their own dialogs and forms, what would
you say those run as? Are they ALL pretty much X-Windows? Or is
it all up in the air depending pretty much upon what the programmer
wants? Is there a particular technology that applies moreso than any
other technology?

--
Jim Carlock