From: Frank Kotler on
Betov wrote:

>>As I said desktops like KDE and GNOME have made basic usage as
>>friendly, IMHO, as for Windows.
>
> No. Also, if there exist *two*, one must be destroyed.

Exactly the thinking that makes everybody love Bill Gates so much. Are
you *listening* to yourself, man???

In any case, you can relax, there aren't two window managers. I don't
know the count - a dozen or so, I think. C(the developer) - in response
to a complaint about X on a systen that was not-too-fast and short on
memory - suggested that he used.... "BlackBox", was it? (not an
auspicious name)... something more "lean and mean" than KDE. But nooo,
you want everybody to do it the way Betov likes it.

> Hopefully, MenuetOS does not have a graphical Interface, does it?
>
> :))

"Jocking again"? Yes, MenuetOS has a graphical interface. Have you
looked at it? (SF, I'm afraid) Stuff like "mov esp, 0FFFFH". Easily
improved... I think there's a command line interface available as an
add-on, but it's basically all GUI.

> No. 2000 here, and i have absolutely no intention of buying
> anything else. 2000 works fine,

Original install? Or do you have to "reinstall system" occasionally? Can
you run for weeks on end without having to reboot? Last Windows I ran -
98 - I didn't have to reinstall too often (roommates had to do it more
often - and had to help Joe User... okay, Jane User... reinstall fairly
often). I did have to reboot after two or three days, 'cause the system
got slow - if it stayed up that long. My current uptime is only a little
over eight days - power failure, IIRC. I almost *never* "have to
reboot". Your mileage may vary.

> Probably. Mind you, i searched for this, yesterday, and never
> found out how to do it. Today, even though i did *not* set it,
> this option installed itself, so that i can just double-click
> upon an icon for a run... How? Why? No idea. More than that,
> since this click-job works... the Application itself does no
> more work like it was used to. You know what? There is a Troll
> inside Linux, who hates me, and who plays bad jokes to me !!!
>
> :))

Most days, I find Linux a powerful OS, capable of doing what I want.
Some days, it seems to delight in finding unique reasons why I can't do
what I want. I think it's a trolless. :)

Best,
Frank
From: Betov on
"rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu" <rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> �crivait

> But perhaps you've not noticed that a *lot* of people around here have
> commented on the fact that RosAsm has a non-standard and horrible user
> interface? Simply calling them "not assembly programmers" for daring
> to suggest that RosAsm's user interface isn't good is just ignoring
> the criticism. Don't think for a moment, however, that the criticism
> doesn't exist.

No, clown, there is nobody around saying anything on RosAsm.
Just minions of yours and Trolls who parot your stupidities,
without understanding a word at anything. It is clear, that
the criticism doesn't exist.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> �crivait

> It's not MY logic, it's logic. You said: "i cannot shout at
> volunteers free works", this is wrong.

Oh, on that point, i would not refrain to talk in plain
true words to the guys who do this and that. But, on a
Forum, like these ones, this is useless to drop a baril
of cold water on their anthousiasm and good will.

Now, if i had an occasion of really discussing with a
*developper*, yes, of course, i would say it in plain
words, because the developpers need real feedbacks of
the users. Not flattery.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait

> There are a couple of places where "blame" (or constructive criticism)
> might be applied. Maybe it's an imperfection in Ubuntu. If
> Shuttleworth's paying them to make Linux better, maybe it isn't free
> volunteers. Maybe Dell didn't do a good job installing it. I suppose
> they're charging you *something* for installing it. There's time
> involved - hopefully some "guru"s time - even if they don't pay for
> the OS. In either case, they'll probably hear you better if you don't
> shout. :)

Oh, i didn't shout at all. :))

I just reported the problem at a Forum, in perfectly politically
correct form (yes, i *can* :)). From there, i suppose that the
users' difficulties are collected, evaluated, and that reports
go where they have go... Don't know if this is Dell or Ubuntu,
and if Ubuntu, i do not know if this is an Azerty-Querty error
or a problem with handling some passwords chars. I did not dig
into, you know...

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
SpooK <keith(a)dynatos.net> �crivait news:1188193783.741416.149320
@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> Despite the root lockout (which I agree with as users should never run
> root when SUDO is available), I never had such issues with Ubuntu as
> Betov is describing.
>
> I doubt Dell did anything but the point n' click install of Ubuntu...
> so I have to suspect operator error.

Mind you, this was the very first idea of mines. The reason
why i spoiled about 14 hours, at searching which stupidity
i could have done, before understanding that it was a bug.

And, mind you, like Frank said above, if a guy like me could
do an "operator error" (whatever this could be), this still
would be a problem to be fixed, for the designers.

> Firefox destroyed the first big stumbling block, but distributions
> like Ubuntu are the only serious hope for FSF/OSS to have any
> considerable share of the desktop market.

This is the answer to the very first questions i asked, here,
about it, one or two weeks ago. After having seen, yes, there
is a serious hope. If things go well, the market should make
the choice among the damned "MyDistroIsBetterThanYours", and
i see few reasons why a next gear-seller would choose anything
else but Ubuntu. I hope that this will not happend, and that
this "considerable share" will go on.

Now, the question, to me, as long as i could be concerned...
is "how long will it take?". How do you see it becoming, on
one hand, a fully usable OS, and, on the other hand, to see
it becoming the leading OS? How long?

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >