From: Betov on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait news:HdpAi.6248$yv3.2657
@trndny01:

> Y'know, I'm in danger of becoming a Slackware bigot!

No danger: You already are! You will end with Annie,
on an "Antiquities bigots" News List. Believe me!

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
Frank Kotler <fbkotler(a)verizon.net> �crivait news:QNtAi.4074$zS2.1684
@trndny08:

>> Hopefully, MenuetOS does not have a graphical Interface, does it?
>>
>> :))
>
> "Jocking again"? Yes, MenuetOS has a graphical interface. Have you
> looked at it? (SF, I'm afraid) Stuff like "mov esp, 0FFFFH". Easily
> improved... I think there's a command line interface available as an
> add-on, but it's basically all GUI.

Yes, i am joking again. What i mean to point to, is that,
as opposed to most believe, there is absolutely no reason
why a good GUI should be any slow. Is MenuetOS GUI slow?
No. So, having Linux made slow in GUI mode does not make
any sense, as an argument. It is slow. Period.

Ah... but jokes are no more funny when you have to explain
them...

>> No. 2000 here, and i have absolutely no intention of buying
>> anything else. 2000 works fine,
>
> Original install?

Yes. Bought in September 2002. Used dayly for Assembly
Programming. Starts at 9 AM / shut-down about 11 PM,
each day, no week-end break, zero hollidays.

> Or do you have to "reinstall system" occasionally?

Never. I never even saw the "Blue Screen of Death". The
very first time i saw this expression, i didn't even kwow
what it ment... I never even unfragment the disks. Nothing.

I must say that, when i bought this computer, i told the
guy who sold it to me: "I don't care of the price. I don't
care of the performancies. I don't care of having the last
new thing. I don't care of anything, but flat standard and
reliable and robust gear". Maybe that helps... when you have
a seller that you can trust...

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Betov wrote:
> as opposed to most believe, there is absolutely no reason
> why a good GUI should be any slow. Is MenuetOS GUI slow?
> No. So, having Linux made slow in GUI mode does not make
> any sense, as an argument. It is slow. Period.

Then try http://www.xfce.org
or http://www.fluxbox.org

instead of KDE/Gnome.
From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> �crivait

> Then try http://www.xfce.org
> or http://www.fluxbox.org
>
> instead of KDE/Gnome.

Second link "silent", here.

The first one look nice, but... no thanks. If Gnome is choosen
by Ubuntu, and if Ubuntu wins, there is no use and no room for
any alternative GUI. What is needed, if slowyness is because of
Gnome, is to make Gnome responsive. Not my problem, actually.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: CodeMonk on
Betov wrote:

> Personaly, i do not think that i am a good "designer", but

I guess we have something else in common then. I've always enjoyed
the benefit of there being a separation between the user interface and
the implementation details. My job has been ensuring that the
implementation details meet the contractual obligations, and beyond
that, the user interface designers are free to do as they wish.

> we (Ludwig and me) did our best with this, and, at my own

I did say it was a skilled offering. But, and this is just my
opinion, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot with the source
in the executable concept. If for no other reason than it's a
security risk and I'll just mention in passing the fact that Wannabee
is a contributor of some of RosAsm's executables.

> taste, it _is_ intuitive enough. Now, RosAsm is not an OS.

So make it bootable - go check out Minix 3. You'd have to break all
those Windows dependencies though.

> It is a Tool for *programmers* - what an OS should not be
> supposed to be -. So, admitting that RosAsm would be counter-
> intuitive, this would not make any excuse for an OS to also
> be counter-intuitive.

Keep in mind that a Unix person would consider Windows
counter-intuitive. AKA - the humorous Mac / Windows debate.

- Scott