From: Laura on
JimH wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> You choice, of course, but let me mention that you *can* do a direct
>> upgrade from XP to Vista (but not to Windows 7).
>>

> I did that on my laptop. I don't consider it an upgrade. I don't use the
> laptop much. If I did, I'd reinstall XP. I haven't used Windows 7 yet,
> but Vista is awful.

I agree Vista is awful. I swapped out Vista for win7 and am glad I did.
Did the full reformat, etc to get rid of all traces of Vista. Some Vista
computers purchased within the past 2+ years are actually old XP
machines that the stores upgraded to Vista. That may actually have
caused some issues seen by folks.
From: Han on
Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote in

> JimH wrote:
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>>
>>> You choice, of course, but let me mention that you *can* do a direct
>>> upgrade from XP to Vista (but not to Windows 7).
>>>

>> I did that on my laptop. I don't consider it an upgrade. I don't use
>> the laptop much. If I did, I'd reinstall XP. I haven't used Windows 7
>> yet, but Vista is awful.
>
> I agree Vista is awful. I swapped out Vista for win7 and am glad I
> did. Did the full reformat, etc to get rid of all traces of Vista.
> Some Vista computers purchased within the past 2+ years are actually
> old XP machines that the stores upgraded to Vista. That may actually
> have caused some issues seen by folks.

This laptop runs Vista Home Basic. It's a little different from XP, but
not really all that much. Win7 (Pro, on my much more powerful work
machine) is different again, and I like it much better than Vista, but it
sure takes some getting used to.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Ken Blake on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:06:13 -0700, JimH <JimH(a)invalid.net> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> >
> > You choice, of course, but let me mention that you *can* do a direct
> > upgrade from XP to Vista (but not to Windows 7).
> >

> I did that on my laptop. I don't consider it an upgrade. I don't use the
> laptop much. If I did, I'd reinstall XP. I haven't used Windows 7 yet,
> but Vista is awful.

Going from one version of Windows to a newer version *is* an upgrade,
by definition, regardless of whether you consider the newer version to
be better or not.

In my view, Windows XP was very good, Vista was better still, and
Windows 7 is the best of the three. However my views have nothing to
do with the fact that going from one of the first two to a later one
is an upgrade. And I'm not trying to persuade you that your view of
which are better should be the same as mine.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup