From: Tony on
Hello,
we've been experiencing losses of entries from the nk2 file (auto populate
email address) and I don't know how to stop it or whats causing it. We run a
mix or Outlook 2003 and 2007. We are also running MS CRM. Entries that are
lost are addresses that we send to on a regular basis. When we discover they
are missing, I have a little program that allows me to read the NK2 file, and
the entries are just not there. They are not being deleted by the user, they
just disappear. It happens randomly and its sporadic. There does not seem to
be any pattern to the losses.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look to find an answer.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
If outlook doesn't close properly, addresses added during the current
session are not saved to the file. If an NDR is returned, the address is
removed (under certain conditions).

How frequently is outlook closed? If its mostly up 24/7 and is only closed
when it crashes or when windows updates force a reboot, the NK2 is not
getting permanently updated. This is often caused by a program accessing
outlook data - this prevents outlook from closing properly and the file
doesn't get updated.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Gordon on

"Tony" <Tony(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> we've been experiencing losses of entries from the nk2 file (auto populate
> email address) and I don't know how to stop it or whats causing it. We
> run a
> mix or Outlook 2003 and 2007. We are also running MS CRM. Entries that
> are
> lost are addresses that we send to on a regular basis. When we discover
> they
> are missing, I have a little program that allows me to read the NK2 file,
> and
> the entries are just not there. They are not being deleted by the user,
> they
> just disappear. It happens randomly and its sporadic. There does not seem
> be any pattern to the losses.
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look to find an answer.

Well the first thing to say is that you should NOT be using autocomplete as
a contact storage method. There is a finite number of entries that the nk2
file can store AFAIK, which may be why they are dropping off.
For those contacts that you regularly send to, create a proper contact entry
in the Contacts folder. That should solve most of the problem....

From: Tony on
Hi Diane, thanks for the reply,
Outlook is usually open during business hours after which it is usually
closed. This one specific case that was brought to my attention was an
internal Partner of our company that has been in the nk2 file for ever, it
was not a new entry. It just mysteriously disappeared. We do sync our CRM
contacts with Outlook on a scheduled basis. Do you think this sync could be
causing the issue.

From: Bob I on
Inline

Gordon wrote:

> "Tony" <Tony(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> Hello,
>> we've been experiencing losses of entries from the nk2 file (auto
>> populate
>> email address) and I don't know how to stop it or whats causing it.
>> We run a
>> mix or Outlook 2003 and 2007. We are also running MS CRM. Entries
>> that are
>> lost are addresses that we send to on a regular basis. When we
>> discover they
>> are missing, I have a little program that allows me to read the NK2
>> file, and
>> the entries are just not there. They are not being deleted by the
>> user, they
>> just disappear. It happens randomly and its sporadic. There does not
>> seem to
>> be any pattern to the losses.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look to find an
>> answer.
>

> Well the first thing to say is that you should NOT be using autocomplete
> as a contact storage method. There is a finite number of entries that
> the nk2 file can store AFAIK, which may be why they are dropping off.

1000