From: Fred on
Thanks again, Skip. I waited for 15 minutes and then got some goofball in
India. Never could make him understand what the problem was. I'll try
calling again later.

(One reason I went with Verizon was that their tech support was in the US.
Now it looks like they just couldn't resist the $5 a day.)

From: Paul_B on
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:47:28 GMT, Fred wrote:

> I set up a 2nd verizon account and get the following error message when
> trying to send email from it. Any ideas how to get it straightened out?
>
> The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
> e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'sample(a)verizon.net'.
> Subject 'Email Test', Account: 'sample(a)verizon.net', Server:
> 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1
> Authentication is required to send mail as <xts738xg(a)verizon.net>', Port:
> 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
>
> (Note that I changed the email addresses in the above, but the error message
> is otherwise unchanged.)

Fred,

My guess is you've run into Verizon's header mismatch problem. V.
requires that the From field matches the envelope !Mail From
field. Thus, if you've set up your new account as an alias of a
master account, and your mailer uses the master account to
formulate the email envelope, you won't get in.

This is unnecessary, since the login should be enough to protect
the account against intrusion, and the practice causes an
annoying bunch of extra configuration on the user end.

Paul
From: Fred on
Thanks, sounds like this might be the problem. I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I went to dslstart.verizon.net and deleted the problem
sub-account. Then tried to create a new sub-account. When I hit "NEXT", the
screen goes blank and "DONE" is displayed at the bottom. If I go back, the
new name is not in the list. Plenty of hard drive space, etc., so I don't
know what the problem is this time.

I'll call Verizon India again some time tonight when I feel like being
talked down to , and post whatever I find out.

From: Fred on
Just now... I tried sending an email again and got a different error
message....

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account: 'sub01', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

From: Fred on
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:17:02 GMT, Fred wrote:
>
> > Just now... I tried sending an email again and got a different error
> > message....
> >
> > "There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
> > rejected. Account: 'sub01', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol:
POP3,
> > Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110,
> > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"
> >
> > "Fred" <testing(a)testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> >> I set up a 2nd verizon account and get the following error message when
> >> trying to send email from it. Any ideas how to get it straightened
out?

> >> The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's
> >> e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'sample(a)verizon.net'.
> >> Subject 'Email Test', Account: 'sample(a)verizon.net', Server:
> >> 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1
> >> Authentication is required to send mail as <xts738xg(a)verizon.net>',
Port:
> >> 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
> >>
> >> (Note that I changed the email addresses in the above, but the error
> > message
> >> is otherwise unchanged.)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Fred
> >>

> Looks to me like you're trying to use the POP server to send
> mail.

I don't know --but I think POP is being used for incoming and SMPT is used
for outgoing? I could be wrong.... Here's a screen capture of the dialog
box... what do you think?

http://www.geocities.com/lexmark8792/oe6.html

Fred