From: David F. Sage on
Gerry.

In a previous Posting, I reported:

A Registry search finds 7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE in

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions/7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE/Default/REG_SZ/(value

not set)

Did I misunderstand your suggestion, let me know and for this, thank you.
David.

From: Gerry on
David

All my entries here have a Default value. Also the guid is enclosed in
curly brackets thus:

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{3610eda5-77ef-11d2-8dc5-00c04fa31a66}

Under the Default/REG_SZ entry line there are normally other entries.
Can you confirm there are no further entries. There are presumably other
guids for comparision so you can see what might be expected.

My understanding of the Registry is limited. I found these two Knowledge
Base Articles, which refer.

Troubleshooting Group Policy Client-Side Extension Behavior

Identifying Group Policy Client-Side Extensions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216357

However, the question in my mind is why have this key if no default
value is set?

The guids under GPExtensions on my system do not appear elsewhere in the
Registry so looking would seem unlikely to be productive.

The answer might be to remove the key but the only problem is the
generation of the Error Report I think I would live that than risk other
consequences.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: David F. Sage on
Gerry.

Problem solved, a while ago, I installed IE8b and later uninstalled it.

Belatedly remembering this, I reinstalled IE8b again and Event ID 1041
ended.

The downside is a very slow 'start-up' and 'shut-down', this I can cope
with.

With my appreciation to all who helped and for this, thank you.

From: Gerry on
David

That is beta software! You need to ask in the beta forum about
uninstalling as it seems to leave bits behind.

~~~~

Gerry
~~~~
FCA