From: William B. Lurie on
Thank you, Gerry. I find that the biggest offender is
Automatic Live Update Scheduler, and the only ones I'm
aware of on my system are Norton Anti-Virus, whose Live
Updater I have off, and Windows Update, which I also do
only when I'm in the mood.

From: Bruce Chambers on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> You nice folks led me to Event Viewer not too long ago, and
> in studying it, I find under Applications that Automatic Live
> Update is being run every 3 hours. It isn't my Norton Anti-
> Virus Live Update, and I do not allow Windows Live Update to
> run. Or at least I think I have it set so that I run Windows
> Update when I choose to do so.
>
> How can I track down what is running so often, and preventing
> my system from hibernating as a result?
>
> Thank you.

Many applications now install automatic update "features," so it's a
bit hard to narrow it down. Do you have, for instance, Java or Acrobat
Reader installed? Both have automatic updates features that the
computer user is not warned about when installing them. Also, while I
don't think this is the cause in this particular case, do you have your
WinXP clock configured to automatically synchronize with an Internet
time server? (Haven't used WinXP for a couple of years, so I've
forgotten some of the details, such as the frequency of those checks.)

To try narrowing down which application is doing this, double-click on
the pertinent entry in the application log to see if it will identify a
specific executable file's name. You can also use MSConfig to see what
is starting with the computer. Also, just in case someone tried to be
clever, you can check for Scheduled Tasks that would show up in the
usual "Startup" locations.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: glee on
Automatic Live Update Scheduler is from Symantec (Norton) Live Update.
You may have turned it off, but it doesn't agree.

Automatic live update Norton. how to schedule?
http://www.windowsbbs.com/other-software/68671-automatic-live-update-norton-how-schedule.html

Turning Off Norton's Automatic Liveupdate -
http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/628975-turning-off-nortons-automatic-liveupdate.html

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Gerry on
William

I suggest you post an exact copy of the actual report.

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: William B. Lurie on
Gerry, I found that Norton System Works Premier, which
has a separate menu for such things, has a place where
I can choose "Turn off all automatic updates". I
did that several hours ago, and now the events have
trickled down to a very few.

Let's wait a day and see if it resets itself.