From: William B. Lurie on
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> You nice folks led me to Event Viewer not too long ago, and
>> in studying it, I find under Applications that Automatic Live
>> Update is being run every 3 hours. It isn't my Norton Anti-
>> Virus Live Update, and I do not allow Windows Live Update to
>> run. Or at least I think I have it set so that I run Windows
>> Update when I choose to do so.
>>
>> How can I track down what is running so often, and preventing
>> my system from hibernating as a result?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Many applications now install automatic update "features," so it's a
> bit hard to narrow it down. Do you have, for instance, Java or Acrobat
> Reader installed? Both have automatic updates features that the
> computer user is not warned about when installing them. Also, while I
> don't think this is the cause in this particular case, do you have your
> WinXP clock configured to automatically synchronize with an Internet
> time server? (Haven't used WinXP for a couple of years, so I've
> forgotten some of the details, such as the frequency of those checks.)
>
> To try narrowing down which application is doing this, double-click
> on the pertinent entry in the application log to see if it will identify
> a specific executable file's name. You can also use MSConfig to see
> what is starting with the computer. Also, just in case someone tried to
> be clever, you can check for Scheduled Tasks that would show up in the
> usual "Startup" locations.

Thanks for the added clues, Bruce. I do get notices about
downloading updates for Adobe Reader, but never Java. The
only clock reset that I have pings an atomic clock site,
but only on my request.

As I messaged, I found in Norton System Works a place
that ostensibly turns off auto updates, and I'll look
again tomorrow to see what happened overnight.

And it's back to hibernating after an hour so maybe
the intrusions have ceased.
From: VanguardLH on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> Gerry, I found that Norton System Works Premier, which
> has a separate menu for such things, has a place where
> I can choose "Turn off all automatic updates". I
> did that several hours ago, and now the events have
> trickled down to a very few.

But doesn't that also mean that you won't get signature and/or program
updates for your Norton security program? You would end up with an out-of-
date Norton product.
From: William B. Lurie on
VanguardLH wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>
>> Gerry, I found that Norton System Works Premier, which
>> has a separate menu for such things, has a place where
>> I can choose "Turn off all automatic updates". I
>> did that several hours ago, and now the events have
>> trickled down to a very few.
>
> But doesn't that also mean that you won't get signature and/or program
> updates for your Norton security program? You would end up with an out-of-
> date Norton product.
I turned off all *automatic* updates. I can still do
Live Update when I choose to do so.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>
>>> Gerry, I found that Norton System Works Premier, which
>>> has a separate menu for such things, has a place where
>>> I can choose "Turn off all automatic updates". I
>>> did that several hours ago, and now the events have
>>> trickled down to a very few.
>>
>> But doesn't that also mean that you won't get signature and/or program
>> updates for your Norton security program? You would end up with an
>> out-of-
>> date Norton product.
> I turned off all *automatic* updates. I can still do
> Live Update when I choose to do so.
And now, some evidence and a question.
Overnight it did something every hour that
prevented it from going to hibernate. Or even screen saver!

Here's the event log:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.evt

Can someone please tell me how to interpret what it shows?
(By the way, I uploaded the file but my notepad can't read
it; I hope somebody can!)
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> But doesn't that also mean that you won't get signature and/or program
>>> updates for your Norton security program? You would end up with an
>>> out-of-
>>> date Norton product.
>> I turned off all *automatic* updates. I can still do
>> Live Update when I choose to do so.
> And now, some evidence and a question.
> Overnight it did something every hour that
> prevented it from going to hibernate. Or even screen saver!
>
> Here's the event log:
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.evt
>
> Can someone please tell me how to interpret what it shows?
> (By the way, I uploaded the file but my notepad can't read
> it; I hope somebody can!)

Here is a screen shot of the events log.......maybe more
decipherable.......

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.jpg