From: Jose on
On Feb 17, 6:50 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> and time around your problem.
>
> >> If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
> >> more information.  On the right are
> >> black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The
> >> third button that looks like
> >> two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to
> >> your Windows clipboard.
>
> >> When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
> >> your issue, click the third button
> >> under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can
> >> paste the details (right click, Paste
> >> or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.
>
> >> To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
> >> the log (backing up the log is offered),
> >> then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the
> >> time of your issue.
>
> > Okay, Jose, one mo' time:
>
> > Event Type:    Error
> > Event Source:    ati2mtag
> > Event Category:    CRT
> > Event ID:    45062
> > Date:        2/16/2010
> > Time:        1:03:13 PM
> > User:        N/A
> > Computer:    COMPAQ-2006
> > CRT invalid display type
> > Data:
> > 0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00   ......Z.
> > 0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0   ,....°.À
> > 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
> > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
> > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
>
> > The above is the Event that occurs every time the
> > Power Options is invoked (I think). How do I
> > find out what it doesn't like about my CRT?
>
> It is now worse than ever, and I suspect why.
>
> I decided to do some Windows Update. Hadn't been there in about
> a month. (I prefer Manual....I don't want all the updates, and
> for good reason).
>
> I let it install 27 updates, including Windows Search and IE8.
>
> I did a reboot (of course), and some work, and went away,
> figuring it would go to hibernate. Instead, 8 hours later,
> it had not even gone to Screen Saver!
>
> Looking at Event Viewer, it has 200 events recorded, in the top
> two categories.
>
> I'd like to back off and uninstall Windows Search and try again,
> if somebody will tell me how to uninstall it. As for IE8, I can
> probably download and IE7, uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7. I
> use Firefox as my main browser anyway.
>
> Meanwhile, here is one of the messages in the Event Viewer. Note
> that Windows Search was involved.
>
> Event Type:     Error
> Event Source:   Windows Search Service
> Event Category: Gatherer
> Event ID:       3024
> Date:           2/16/2010
> Time:           3:29:08 PM
> User:           N/A
> Computer:       COMPAQ-2006
> The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be
> accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.
>
> Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Enough people want to uninstall Windows Search post install (I wonder
why?), so I have copy/paste directions:

After updates, Search Desktop may show up in the Taskbar because
Windows Search has been installed.

You can turn off the Windows Search Deskbar but Windows Search will
still be installed and running. Contrary to some beliefs,turning off
the toolbar is not the same as uninstalling.

Uninstalling Windows Search depends on the version.

Windows Search is Microsoft KB940157.

Windows Search 4.0 can be removed from Add or Remove Programs. If you
do not see it check the Show updates box and look again.

Version 3.0 did not show up in Add or Remove Programs, but the
uninstall process is the same for both behind the scenes.

KB940157 and every installed KB should have an uninstall folder and
uninstallation process to go with it.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB940157$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Click OK and the uninstall will run for KB940157. Follow the prompts
and reboot.

You could also navigate to the KB940157 folder and double click the
spuninst.exe to launch it.

Reboot when the uninstall is complete.
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Feb 17, 6:50 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> Okay, Jose, one mo' time:
>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: ati2mtag
>>> Event Category: CRT
>>> Event ID: 45062
>>> Date: 2/16/2010
>>> Time: 1:03:13 PM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> CRT invalid display type
>>> Data:
>>> 0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
>>> 0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....�.�
>>> 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> The above is the Event that occurs every time the
>>> Power Options is invoked (I think). How do I
>>> find out what it doesn't like about my CRT?
>> It is now worse than ever, and I suspect why.
>>
>> I decided to do some Windows Update. Hadn't been there in about
>> a month. (I prefer Manual....I don't want all the updates, and
>> for good reason).
>>
>> I let it install 27 updates, including Windows Search and IE8.
>>
>> I did a reboot (of course), and some work, and went away,
>> figuring it would go to hibernate. Instead, 8 hours later,
>> it had not even gone to Screen Saver!
>>
>> Looking at Event Viewer, it has 200 events recorded, in the top
>> two categories.
>>
>> I'd like to back off and uninstall Windows Search and try again,
>> if somebody will tell me how to uninstall it. As for IE8, I can
>> probably download and IE7, uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7. I
>> use Firefox as my main browser anyway.
>>
>> Meanwhile, here is one of the messages in the Event Viewer. Note
>> that Windows Search was involved.
>>
>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: Windows Search Service
>> Event Category: Gatherer
>> Event ID: 3024
>> Date: 2/16/2010
>> Time: 3:29:08 PM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>> The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be
>> accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.
>>
>> Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog
>>
>> For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>
> Enough people want to uninstall Windows Search post install (I wonder
> why?), so I have copy/paste directions:
>
> After updates, Search Desktop may show up in the Taskbar because
> Windows Search has been installed.
>
> You can turn off the Windows Search Deskbar but Windows Search will
> still be installed and running. Contrary to some beliefs,turning off
> the toolbar is not the same as uninstalling.
>
> Uninstalling Windows Search depends on the version.
>
> Windows Search is Microsoft KB940157.
>
> Windows Search 4.0 can be removed from Add or Remove Programs. If you
> do not see it check the Show updates box and look again.
>
> Version 3.0 did not show up in Add or Remove Programs, but the
> uninstall process is the same for both behind the scenes.
>
> KB940157 and every installed KB should have an uninstall folder and
> uninstallation process to go with it.
>
> Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
> %systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB940157$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
>
> Click OK and the uninstall will run for KB940157. Follow the prompts
> and reboot.
>
> You could also navigate to the KB940157 folder and double click the
> spuninst.exe to launch it.
>
> Reboot when the uninstall is complete.
Thank you, Jose......I had already managed to uninstall
Windows Search. But the ati error message and reference
to CRT still persists as an unanswered question. When
the Power Options selections don't get invoked, sometimes
it goes all the way back to where, after 3 hours, all my desktop
icons and wallpaper are still there. See Event ID 45062 above.
Any clues?
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> [...]
>> uninstall process is the same for both behind the scenes.
>>
>> KB940157 and every installed KB should have an uninstall folder and
>> uninstallation process to go with it.
>>
>> Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>>
>> %systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB940157$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
>>
>> Click OK and the uninstall will run for KB940157. Follow the prompts
>> and reboot.
>>
>> You could also navigate to the KB940157 folder and double click the
>> spuninst.exe to launch it.
>>
>> Reboot when the uninstall is complete.
> Thank you, Jose......I had already managed to uninstall
> Windows Search. But the ati error message and reference
> to CRT still persists as an unanswered question. When
> the Power Options selections don't get invoked, sometimes
> it goes all the way back to where, after 3 hours, all my desktop
> icons and wallpaper are still there. See Event ID 45062 above.
I hate to be a pest, because it isn't a vital malfunction.
But it is annoyong to get error messages that might as
well be written in Sanskrit, for all the use they are!