From: JD on
William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> I turned off all *automatic* updates. I can still do
>>> Live Update when I choose to do so.
>> And now, some evidence and a question.
>> Overnight it did something every hour that
>> prevented it from going to hibernate. Or even screen saver!
>>
>> Here's the event log:
>>
>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.evt
>>
>> Can someone please tell me how to interpret what it shows?
>> (By the way, I uploaded the file but my notepad can't read
>> it; I hope somebody can!)
>
> Here is a screen shot of the events log.......maybe more
> decipherable.......
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.jpg

errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right side
of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages. Left
mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit Ctrl V or
click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the error
properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is causing
the error.

--
JD..
From: William B. Lurie on
JD wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> *************************************************
>>> And now, some evidence and a question.
>>> Overnight it did something every hour that
>>> prevented it from going to hibernate. Or even screen saver!
>>>
>>> Here's the event log:
>>>
>>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.evt
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me how to interpret what it shows?
>>> (By the way, I uploaded the file but my notepad can't read
>>> it; I hope somebody can!)
>>
>> Here is a screen shot of the events log.......maybe more
>> decipherable.......
>>
>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.jpg

> errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right side
> of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages. Left
> mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit Ctrl V or
> click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the error
> properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is causing
> the error.

Great instructions, JD, and here's one typical 'event'.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 2/13/2010
Time: 6:38:44 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: COMPAQ-2006
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete
list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential
security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces
may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters.
Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

That, of course, leads me to another place I've never been before...
IPSec monitor snap-in. And now.......??

From: Unknown on
Why don't you simply shut down NORTON?

From: William B. Lurie on
All of the old complaints about Norton and Symantec
taken into consideration, they have cleaned up their act
tremendously over the years, and are extremely helpful and
have kept my machines free of (most) intruders very well.
They do try to do too many things for me automatically,
but I have it tuned so that I am in control. This
automatic live update thing, I changed back to manual,
so I'm not going to shut them down.

From: JD on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> Here is a screen shot of the events log.......maybe more
>>> decipherable.......
>>>
>>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.jpg

>> errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right
>> side of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages.
>> Left mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit
>> Ctrl V or click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the
>> error properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is
>> causing the error.
>>
> Great instructions, JD, and here's one typical 'event'.
>
> Event Type: Failure Audit
> Event Source: Security
> Event Category: Policy Change
> Event ID: 615
> Date: 2/13/2010
> Time: 6:38:44 AM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete
> list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential
> security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces
> may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters.
> Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
>

> That, of course, leads me to another place I've never been before...
> IPSec monitor snap-in. And now.......??

Hopefully somebody will come along and tell you what this all means. I
know how to generate the .txt file but I'm not sure what the problem is.

I use http://www.ask.com so you can see what you can find there.
Search for: IPSec monitor snap-in

A good question for this type of problem is; when did the problem start
and what changes were made to your computer around the time you first
noticed the problem?

--
JD..