From: Jose on
On Feb 13, 9:51 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > William B. Lurie wrote:

> >> Here is a screen shot of the events log.......maybe more
> >> decipherable.......
>
> >>http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/events.jpg

> > errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right side
> > of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages. Left
> > mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit Ctrl V or
> > click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the error
> > properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is causing
> > the error.
>
> Great instructions, JD, and here's one typical 'event'.
>
> Event Type:     Failure Audit
> Event Source:   Security
> Event Category: Policy Change
> Event ID:       615
> Date:           2/13/2010
> Time:           6:38:44 AM
> User:           NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
> Computer:       COMPAQ-2006
> IPSec Services:         IPSec Services failed to get the complete
> list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential
> security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces
> may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters.
> Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
>
> That, of course, leads me to another place I've never been before...
> IPSec monitor snap-in. And now.......??

Is there some reason you have your system configured to monitor and
audit and log security policy settings and changes?

That is what puts things in the Security log. Such settings do not
usually apply to "normal" home type users. Normally, this log is
empty, or has one entry in it - "The audit log was cleared ".

I dare say you are seeing a self inflicted wound.

Unless you are in an environment where you need to be extensively
auditing your Internet traffic, searching for network connectivity
issues, etc. you do not need to be monitoring these events. This 615
probably occurred when you booted your system before the IPSec service
started and was then followed by a successful 615.

If you don't know what these things mean or how to begin to interpret
them you should turn them all off since they slow your system down
with all the unnecessary activity logging. More logging is not always
good logging unless you are troubleshooting a problem.

If you don't know how to use the security auditing and IPSec tools and
don't need to know, turn off all that extra stuff you don't need and
your system will thank you for it by rewarding you with better
performance and fewer mysteries.

If you care to delve into all the settings, what they mean, how to
interpret them, etc. you should take a class, read a book, do some
Internet searching.
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Feb 13, 9:51 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> JD wrote:
>>> errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right side
>>> of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages. Left
>>> mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit Ctrl V or
>>> click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the error
>>> properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is causing
>>> the error.
>> Great instructions, JD, and here's one typical 'event'.
>>
>> Event Type: Failure Audit
>> Event Source: Security
>> Event Category: Policy Change
>> Event ID: 615
>> Date: 2/13/2010
>> Time: 6:38:44 AM
>> User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete
>> list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential
>> security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces
>> may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters.
>> Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
>>
>> That, of course, leads me to another place I've never been before...
>> IPSec monitor snap-in. And now.......??
>
> Is there some reason you have your system configured to monitor and
> audit and log security policy settings and changes?
>
> That is what puts things in the Security log. Such settings do not
> usually apply to "normal" home type users. Normally, this log is
> empty, or has one entry in it - "The audit log was cleared ".
>
> I dare say you are seeing a self inflicted wound.
>
> Unless you are in an environment where you need to be extensively
> auditing your Internet traffic, searching for network connectivity
> issues, etc. you do not need to be monitoring these events. This 615
> probably occurred when you booted your system before the IPSec service
> started and was then followed by a successful 615.
>
> If you don't know what these things mean or how to begin to interpret
> them you should turn them all off since they slow your system down
> with all the unnecessary activity logging. More logging is not always
> good logging unless you are troubleshooting a problem.
>
> If you don't know how to use the security auditing and IPSec tools and
> don't need to know, turn off all that extra stuff you don't need and
> your system will thank you for it by rewarding you with better
> performance and fewer mysteries.
>
> If you care to delve into all the settings, what they mean, how to
> interpret them, etc. you should take a class, read a book, do some
> Internet searching.
You're right on all counts, Jose. I have not made any changes to my
system, it is a garden-variety HP off-the-shelf Home machine 2-odd
years old, and I assure you that I have done nothing voluntarily to
cause this behavior. With one possible exception, and I can turn that
off to try it......I installed Anti-Malware and maybe it has done these
wonderful "improvements" for me. I don't know (and don't want to know)
all about that IPSec stuff.
From: JD on
Jose wrote:
> On Feb 13, 9:51 am, "William B. Lurie"<billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> JD wrote:

>>> errors. That will bring up the Event Properties. On the upper right side
>>> of that window will be an up and down arrow and two little pages. Left
>>> mouse click on the two pages. Then open Notepad and either hit Ctrl V or
>>> click on Edit and select Paste. Now you have a copy of the error
>>> properties and maybe you or someone here can tell you what is causing
>>> the error.
>>
>> Great instructions, JD, and here's one typical 'event'.
>>
>> Event Type: Failure Audit
>> Event Source: Security
>> Event Category: Policy Change
>> Event ID: 615
>> Date: 2/13/2010
>> Time: 6:38:44 AM
>> User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete
>> list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential
>> security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces
>> may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters.
>> Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
>>
>> That, of course, leads me to another place I've never been before...
>> IPSec monitor snap-in. And now.......??
>
> Is there some reason you have your system configured to monitor and
> audit and log security policy settings and changes?
>
> That is what puts things in the Security log. Such settings do not
> usually apply to "normal" home type users. Normally, this log is
> empty, or has one entry in it - "The audit log was cleared ".
>
> I dare say you are seeing a self inflicted wound.
>
> Unless you are in an environment where you need to be extensively
> auditing your Internet traffic, searching for network connectivity
> issues, etc. you do not need to be monitoring these events. This 615
> probably occurred when you booted your system before the IPSec service
> started and was then followed by a successful 615.
>
> If you don't know what these things mean or how to begin to interpret
> them you should turn them all off since they slow your system down
> with all the unnecessary activity logging. More logging is not always
> good logging unless you are troubleshooting a problem.
>
> If you don't know how to use the security auditing and IPSec tools and
> don't need to know, turn off all that extra stuff you don't need and
> your system will thank you for it by rewarding you with better
> performance and fewer mysteries.
>
> If you care to delve into all the settings, what they mean, how to
> interpret them, etc. you should take a class, read a book, do some
> Internet searching.

Thanks for a non-response. Which book would you suggest he read? Or how
does he turn off the security log? Oh wait though, I have 2,012 events
in my Security log and I've never turned it on. And not one of those
says "The audit log was cleared". I'm not being a smarty pants, I'm just
curious as to the explanation of your response.

--
JD..
From: Gerry on
William

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=615&eventno=3595&source=Security&phase=1

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

From: William B. Lurie on
Gerry wrote:
> William
>
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=615&eventno=3595&source=Security&phase=1

Thanks for the referral, Gerry. I appreciate your effort
to be helpful.....but I found nothing there that would help
me understand the source of the message, or lead me to a
solution. I surmise that I am just not up to it.