From: Henry99 on
Thanks Wei Lu,

The first thing I've immediately done:

Searched Microsoft Download for SharePoint 2007.
I've found a hotfix (KB941422)
The KB says to run first Office Update, to see if this hotfix is necessary.
First I've restarted OWSTIMER.EXE before letting the Office Update run.
Office Update prompted me so install an ActiveX-Control (Genuine Software
test)
I agreed and installed it.
Afterwards ran the search for needed Updates.
Nothing was found.
So: besides installing the Genuine Software ActiveX-Control, nothing was
changed.

As a next step:
In Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration, Diagnostic Logging
(via metrics.aspx) changed Event Throttling to:
All: Error and Unexpected
Timer and Timer Job: Information and Verbos

In the meantime:
OWSTimer.exe went down from around 120 MB to 70 MB.
Since half an hour it is stable at 71 MB !!!!!!!!!!

In the logfile are hunderts of Verbose entries and ONLY ONE Timer-Error:

09/14/2007 00:04:07.03 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0ECC)
0x0F5C Windows SharePoint Services Timer
7psa Critical The Execute method of job definition
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.SPBackupRestoreJobDefinition (ID
3884eb3b-b769-46bd-a09f-8572584de1aa) threw an exception. More information is
included below. The backup job failed. For more information, see the error
log that is located in the backup directory.

In the log at the backup directory I found the following:

[9/14/2007 12:02:24 AM]: Verbose: Starting object: SSO.
[9/14/2007 12:02:24 AM]: Verbose: [SSO] SQL Server Connection String: Data
Source=HYV2003R2ES1\OfficeServers;Initial Catalog=SSO;Integrated
Security=True.
[9/14/2007 12:02:24 AM]: Verbose: [SSO] SQL Server Command:
USE [master]
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE name=(a)db_name)
BEGIN
SELECT sum(convert(float,size)) * (8192.0) from [SSO].dbo.sysfiles
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SELECT 0
END
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Error: [SSO] Invalid object name 'SSO.dbo.sysfiles'.
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Debug: [SSO] at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean
breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior,
SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet
bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds,
RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method,
DbAsyncResult result)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
behavior, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.SPSqlBackupHelper.SetLocationInfo(SPSqlBackupRestoreConnection connection)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.SPSqlBackupHelper.FindSizeAndDirInfo()
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Verbose: [SSO] SQL Server Connection String: Data
Source=HYV2003R2ES1\OfficeServers;Initial Catalog=SSO;Integrated
Security=True;Enlist=False;Connect Timeout=15.
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Verbose: [SSO] SQL command started at: 9/14/2007
12:02:25 AM. This command may take a while to complete and without
notification.
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Verbose: [SSO] SQL Server Command: BACKUP DATABASE
[SSO] TO DISK=(a)db_loc WITH NAME=(a)db_name, STATS=5, NOINIT, NOSKIP, NOFORMAT,
NOREWIND
@db_name=SSO, @db_loc=c:\tem\spbr0002\0000001C.bak
[9/14/2007 12:02:25 AM]: Error: Object SSO failed in event OnBackup. For
more information, see the error log located in the backup directory.
SqlException: Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'SSO'. No
entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
..
..
..
[9/14/2007 12:04:06 AM]: Completed with 0 warnings.
[9/14/2007 12:04:06 AM]: Completed with 2 errors.
[9/14/2007 12:04:06 AM]: Error: Backup failed for Object SSO failed in event
OnBackup. For more information, see the error log located in the backup
directory.

Now I've changed back the Event Throttling to:
Timer and Timer Job: Error and Unexpected (as it was before)

During Verbose tracing OWSTIMER consumed around 70 to 75 MB
Now it came back to 110 MB, but after some minutes it dropped to 93 MB.
It seems to be stable now.

So: the problem went away.
Perhaps it was necessary to install the Genuine Office ActiveX-Control?

Best regards and have a nice day, Henry

From: Wei Lu [MSFT] on
Hello Henry,

First, I would like to suggest you disable the job which indicated in the
Log file.

Second, did you get any error message int he event view?

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

From: callahan on
Wei, how do you disable a timer job that is causing a problem in WSS, other
than in the timer job definition page? Is there some programmatic way to do
it?

-callahan

From: Henry99 on
Hi Wei Lu,

here come the facts.

First: OWSTIMER runs stable with mem usage of around 90 MB since yesterday
(when I ran Office Update without any found update, but installing the
Microsoft Genuine Software ActiveX-Control. Maybe this was the problem?)

So lets have a look at the Event Viewer:
To begin: where NO errors occur:
Nothing in INternet Explorer
Nothing in Microsoft Office Diagnostigs
Nothing in Microsoft Office Sessions
Nothing in Security

Now come to the Application-Events:

There are thousands of errors from the timer service.
But they remote to the installation day.
Event Category: Timer
Event ID: 6398
Event ID: 5215
Event ID: 6772
I've included these at the end FYI, but do not mind, they never came back.

There is one error occurring once a day, when the MOSS-Backup should happen
Event Category: Timer
Event ID: 6398
This one is also included at the end.
I will investigate the backup problem another time (its the task you say
should be disabled).

There are NO OTHER Application error messages.
Only a warning from the Gatherer that the index is paused.
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2442
This occurres only when the backup (that does not conclude) happens.
That seems obvious, for backup purposes.

BUT in SYSTEM
there is a one and only, ever occurring error 8 times in series every 10
minutes
(800 times in two weeks)
Always with the same content:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 9/14/2007
Time: 11:53:44 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{61738644-F196-11D0-9953-00C04FD919C1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security
permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

thats it.

Question: What is this last COM-Error in System??

I've copie the detailed Error Messages below

Best Regards, Henry

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Office Server Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2442
Date: 9/12/2007
Time: 1:41:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
The index was paused.

Context: Application 'SharedServices1', Catalog 'Portal_Content'

Then, after configuring that backup job, the following error occurres once a
day.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Timer
Event ID: 6398
Date: 9/14/2007
Time: 12:04:07 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
The Execute method of job definition
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup.SPBackupRestoreJobDefinition (ID
3884eb3b-b769-46bd-a09f-8572584de1aa) threw an exception. More information is
included below.

The backup job failed. For more information, see the error log that is
located in the backup directory.

FIVE Times a minute

Date: 8/29/2007
Time: 6:46:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
The Execute method of job definition
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID
9b6427f5-54a3-4aa1-a98b-1f9fed46060a) threw an exception. More information is
included below.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding.

Date: 8/29/2007
Time: 5:50:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information and
make sure the database server is running.

Following: this exact error exactly every 15 Minutes
There are other spurious errors with Event ID 6772

Date: 8/29/2007
Time: 6:00:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HYV2003R2ES1
There was an internal error invoking the timer job
'{FD730E80-C470-4D92-B0E5-F57C98ABDF4A}' for service
'{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}'.

From: Henry99 on
Hi Callahan,

have a look at the Stsadm.exe (command-line tool Office SharePoint Server).
You'll find it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server
extensions\12\BIN

If this doesn't help, research the WSS 3.0 SDK for SPTimerService Members
and program a utility yourself.

Saludos, Henry