From: Henry99 on
In our Development Environment (not production yet):
After setting up MOSS from scratch an ever growing OWSTIMER.EXE is eating up
memory. 100 MB, 200 MB...
We restart it all half an hour.

- Platform: Server 2003R2 Enterprise with SP2
with IE7 and all Windows Updates
- .NET Framework 3.0
- WSS 3.0
- MOSS 2007
- Office SharePoint Server 2007 SDK 1.2
- SharePoint Designer
- Visual Studio 2005 Professional
- Visual Studio Extensions for WSS 3.0

We installed all without hurry, preferring to reboot one more time than one
less between the installations.
After one week it seems that all is working fine, but the ever growing
owstimer.exe.

We've found that other people have this problem, but apparently with no
resolution around yet.
Any idea?

Best Regards, Henry

From: Wei Lu [MSFT] on
Hello Henry,

I would like to know whether this issue have impact your performance of
your machine.

The OWSTIMER.EXE is running the timer job of Sharepoint in a schedule. So
when it was running the job, it will consume a lot of memory. And when
finishing the job, the memory will go down.

Please let me know if I am offset. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

From: callahan on
Wei,

I have seen this problem myself and it definitely impacts performance. I
have servers in a simple test environment, that do little except incoming
email, some usage analysis once a night, the occasional backup, and the
OWSTIMER just keeps consuming more and more RAM without ever dropping. Even
when essentially inactive (no users are using it because everyone is at
lunch) it stays high, and the following day it is higher by just a little.
The only thing that works is a reboot or to stop and restart the sharepoint
services.

I had to back Henry on this, I've seen it too.

-callahan

From: Henry99 on
Hallo Wei,

since we are new to SharePoint and have seen this only on our developer
machine, we do not know how may be the impact in production.
It is, that during research of this problem, we saw that others (not only
Callahan here) came along with this observation.

Please inform us, if this is worth escalating to get a hotfix from
engineering or if it has no impact on performance because e.g. OWSTIMER may
retract its memory consumption during heavy duty time.

Saludos, Henry

From: Wei Lu [MSFT] on
Hello Henry,

I would like to get whether there are any event log error you got since
there a lot of issue will cause the OWSTIMER to get the high memory. So we
may not provide a such hotfix to resolve this general issue.

I also found some issue in our internal databases that the OWSTIMER using a
lot of memory. But they are caused by different reason.

Also, in some case, so I would like to set your expectation that we may
need to do the memory dump of the OWSTIMER and we may redirect to the CSS
for this kind of issue due to the complex.