From: Rod Speed on
keithr wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> rf wrote
>>> Warren Smith<warren.smith(a)aol.com.au> wrote

>>> The point is that if it is free then you get exactly what you pay for.

>> Which can be all you need.

>>> I prefer to pay a little bit of money for something that actualy works, all the time.

>> More fool you when some like gmail work fine.

> A dot ID dot AU domain $29.95 per 2 years. 5 address plus website account with reputable australian web server company
> $40 per year. It doesn't exactly break the bank and you have the e-mail address of your choice.

I prefer gmail, mainly for the very decent spam filter.

> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.

Its even better than what you propose on spam filtering.

From: Rod Speed on
Craig Welch wrote
> keithr wrote

>> A dot ID dot AU domain $29.95 per 2 years. 5 address plus website
>> account with reputable australian web server company $40 per year. It doesn't exactly break the bank and you have the
>> e-mail address of
>> your choice.

> Why would you want a .au address when a .com is about one third of that price?

>> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.

> If you have your own domain you can roll your own disposable addresses.

But dont get effortless spam filtering and cant hope to do anything like what gmail can do in that regard.

The only real downside with gmail is you dont get as much choice on the email address.

From: Jerry Stuckle on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Craig Welch wrote
>> keithr wrote
>
>> If you have your own domain you can roll your own disposable addresses.
>
> But dont get effortless spam filtering and cant hope to do anything like what gmail can do in that regard.

It depends on who you get your email through. OTOH, some places you can
put a little effort into customizing your spam filtering and get even
better results.

> The only real downside with gmail is you dont get as much choice on the email address.

I would consider that a major downside. But there are other "real"
ones, also.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
From: Red E. Kilowatt on
keithr wrote:
> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.

It appears that Hotmail doesn't do any spam filtering.

--
Red

From: John Bokma on
"Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMTRAP(a)aww-faq.org> writes:

> keithr wrote:
>> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.
>
> It appears that Hotmail doesn't do any spam filtering.

On top of that they do bounce spam :-( (Backscatter)

--
John Bokma j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico - - http://johnbokma.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last