From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Red E. Kilowatt wrote:

> keithr wrote:
>> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.
>
> It appears that Hotmail doesn't do any spam filtering.

Look through the options. You probably haven't turned it on. There
should be various choices, such as (paraphrasing here):

( ) Let it all pour through
( ) Block obvious spam
( ) Be really aggressive (and trap a lot of legitimate mail)
( ) Accept mail only from those in my address book

--
-bts
From: Red E. Kilowatt on
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Red E. Kilowatt wrote:
>
>> keithr wrote:
>>> Gmail and hotmail are good though for disposable addresses.
>>
>> It appears that Hotmail doesn't do any spam filtering.
>
> Look through the options. You probably haven't turned it on. There
> should be various choices, such as (paraphrasing here):
>
> ( ) Let it all pour through
> ( ) Block obvious spam
> ( ) Be really aggressive (and trap a lot of legitimate mail)
> ( ) Accept mail only from those in my address book

They have filtering options but they don't work very well. The middle
option still lets a lot of obvious spam through. Yahoo does a much
better job of filtering.

--
Red

From: SG1 on

"Red E. Kilowatt" <SPAMTRAP(a)aww-faq.org> wrote in message
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Red E. Kilowatt wrote:

>>> It appears that Hotmail doesn't do any spam filtering.
>>
>> Look through the options. You probably haven't turned it on. There
>> should be various choices, such as (paraphrasing here):
>>
>> ( ) Let it all pour through
>> ( ) Block obvious spam
>> ( ) Be really aggressive (and trap a lot of legitimate mail)
>> ( ) Accept mail only from those in my address book
>
> They have filtering options but they don't work very well. The middle
> option still lets a lot of obvious spam through. Yahoo does a much better
> job of filtering.
>
> --
> Red

I just forward the email to abuse(a)whatever they are using.

From: Jerry Stuckle on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Jerry Stuckle wrote

>>> Fraid so.

>>> Irrelevant to that point that its possible for gmail to do far more than you can possibly do.
>
>> Incorrect.
>
> Nope, you cant apply the most useful test for potential spam,
> whether the email has been sent to a large number of recipients.

I'm glad you think that is relevant. The rest of the world knows better.

Smart spammers don't send their spam to thousands of people at one time.
They send to a few hundred, then repeat the process.

> Yes, you do need to do more than just that test, but you cant do that most useful test.

That is the LEAST useful test. One I don't even make.

>>> But you cant possibly work out what is spam from the same
>>> thing being sent to hordes of other recipients. gmail can.
>
>> Neither can gmail.
>
> Wrong.

Please prove your statement.

>> They don't own all the email servers in the world
>
> They dont need to.
>
>> - only a small part.
>
> They do in fact get much more of the world's email
> going thru their system than anyone else does.

Please prove this statement.

>> And number of recipients does not directly
>> relate to whether the email is spam or not.
>
> It is however by far the best initial test to apply.

It is the WORST test to apply - in ANY circumstances. No spam filter I
know of uses it.

>>> But you cant possibly work out what is spam from the same
>>> thing being sent to hordes of other recipients. gmail can.
>
>> No better than I can with the blacklists I use.
>
> Black lists are useless with spam that deliberately comes from faked sources.
>
> AND gmail can use the same blacklist you use and can add to that
> that test for what has been sent to a large number of recipients.

Enough said. You obviously have no idea how a blacklist works.

<Rest of garbage snipped>

You obviously have NO idea how to configure spam filters. You obviously
have NO idea even about the simplest processes involved in sending email.

But then, that's what I would expect from someone who thinks gmail is a
good mail server. I should have known better than to try to educate an
idiot. I'm out of here.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
From: Craig Welch on
Rod Speed wrote:

> Its not the ONLY criteria I am using, fool.

'Criterion' Rod, 'criterion'.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Power cut