From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Porte Rouge <porterougeman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 10, 3:30�am, fl...(a)apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
>> sigh... <s...(a)noaddress.com> wrote:
>> >On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 18:36:37 -0800, fl...(a)apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson)
>> >wrote:
>
>> Setting White Balance will have a dramatic effect of the
>> accuracy of both.
>
>Could you tell me how you go about setting the white balance on your
>camera? I read this page:
>
>http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm
>
>The first method is over my head and I have a Nikon that doesn't use
>saturated pixels for the calculation of white balance. My white
>balance can be set to Auto(+ or - 3), by lighting(tungsten,
>fluorescent, flash), outside light (direct sun, shade, cloudy), select
>a temperature, and presets(measure a gray card or use WB from another
>photo). Which would you recommend?

I use Nikon cameras and shoot RAW+JPEG virtually all of
the time, using the JPEG for preview only and process
RAW files for production. The JPEG is often enough
previewed using the camera's LCD (I show somebody a shot
that was just made, or even let them scroll through
several images), but is usually seen via a laptop LCD.
Hence a realistic JPEG is important, but does not need
to be perfect.

Also, I use the histogram as a rough indicator of
exposure, and the "highlight" display to actually decide
if an image was exposed correctly.

I always use "Auto" for White Balance. The significant
effect of doing so, for my workflow, is that the camera
records whatever multipliers were used. If a preset WB
setting is used, the preset multipliers are recorded,
but we already know what those values are so recording
them is not useful (they are also used as preset values by
the raw converter). By using "Auto" I get a record of
what the camera thought WB should be.

When I process the RAW file (I use UFRAW) I can use the
camera generated auto values or I can use what the
program's "auto" setting generates. Sometimes they are
very similar, sometimes not, but usually one or the
other is close enough to what I want to provide a
starting point for manual adjustment of the program's
White Balance.

I have tried the UniWB concept, and it certainly works
as described. It was nice to have a very accurate JPEG
in terms of the histogram's indication of exposure,
but... I can't live with the greenish looking JPEGs
produced. :-) I can live with knowing that to nail
exposure I need to allow at least some portion of the
image to blink in the highlight display. I just keep in
mind that getting more dynamic range means a little more
area blinking, and positively avoiding clipped
highlights means a little less. It's a judgement call
that depends on circumstances, and in any case is never
very critical.

A lot of folks say what they want is an histogram
generated directly from the camera's raw data.
Un-interpolated raw data histograms aren't very useful
though! What I would like to see is the camera do one
interpolation for the JPEG image and an entirely
separate interpolation for a histogram. For those who
shoot JPEG, the settings would be the same (or just use
the JPEG for the histogram as is now done). For those
who shoot RAW the interpolation could be set for using
1.0 multipliers, low saturation, no sharpening, and
a standard gamma, to get a very accurate histogram.

I wouldn't mind seeing an "expanded" histogram display
either, where the entire graph shows only the upper 2
fstops of the histogram and also truncates the vertical
range by 1/2. What a tool that would be!

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Bob Larter on
Paul Furman wrote:
> OK, this makes sense, the posterizing issue is not really visible in any
> sort of normal exposure. What about Floyd's comment below that the noise
> level remains the same but exposing to the right increases the signal so
> that overwhelms the noise? That seems to tie the two together in a
> comprehensible way.

Look at it this way: Your RAW image will have the same amount of noise,
regardless of the exposure. But exposing to the right will lift the
shadow levels up higher, relative to the noise. When you process the RAW
image on your PC, you'll lower the brightness levels back down, thus
lowering the absolute noise levels with them.
More technically, you're maximising the signal-to-noise ratio.

From: Paul Furman on
John A. wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2009 09:59:27 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What about saturation? Reducing saturation seems to give more detail to
>>> the edges also.
>> That could be a side effect of chromatic aberration. Do you notice it
>> when there's no chromatic aberration?
>
> Or from chroma subsampling if you're working with jpegs.

I don't think either would have much effect. It looks to make as big of
a difference as contrast.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Porte Rouge on
So, with WB all set you take a picture. I gather that you expose to
the right? My sunrise is good example of lighting conditions that
lead to especially washed out colors if you do. How do you adjust the
colors in post or do you just meter for the sunrise and let the
histogram fall where it may. When I shot slide film I would spot meter
on an area that I knew what the meter should read and set exposure
accordingly, and in digital this also yields a good looking sunrise.
The histogram, however, is not as far to the right as it could be.

Porte
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Porte Rouge <porterougeman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>So, with WB all set you take a picture. I gather that you expose to
>the right? My sunrise is good example of lighting conditions that
>lead to especially washed out colors if you do. How do you adjust the
>colors in post or do you just meter for the sunrise and let the
>histogram fall where it may.

If you don't want any part of the scene to clip, then
shoot the sunrize ETTR. It is *absolutely* necessary to
post process, where you set the exposure for whatever
effect you like. ETTR does *not* cause washed out
colors (inappropriate post processing might though).

>When I shot slide film I would spot meter
>on an area that I knew what the meter should read and set exposure
>accordingly, and in digital this also yields a good looking sunrise.
>The histogram, however, is not as far to the right as it could be.

How can you spot meter on an area that "I knew what the
meter would read"??? I don't understand what you mean
by that statement.

If the histogram is not as far to the right as it could
be your image does not have as wide a dynamic range as
the camera is capable of recording. The shadow areas
will have more noise than if it were exposed per ETTR.
If you want any specific *final* tone levels, set it
that way in post processing. In essence, in post
processing drop the "exposure" to make the editor's
histogram show what you think the camera's should have
shown absent ETTR adjustments.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com