From: Steven Redgate on

> If you don't want any part of the scene to clip, then
> shoot the sunrize ETTR.  It is *absolutely* necessary to
> post process, where you set the exposure for whatever
> effect you like.  ETTR does *not* cause washed out
> colors (inappropriate post processing might though).

By "washed out" I mean the image is brighter than what I saw when I
took the picture and to get the image to represent what I saw I need
to darken the image. By either reducing exposure or some other method
in post.

> >When I shot slide film I would spot meter
> >on an area that I knew what the meter should read and set exposure
> >accordingly, and in digital this also yields a good looking sunrise.
> >The histogram, however, is not as far to the right as it could be.
>
> How can you spot meter on an area that "I knew what the
> meter would read"???  I don't understand what you mean
> by that statement.

I spot meter on something that, from experience, I know what I want
the light meter to indicate for exposure. For example (for film, no
ETTR), a gray cloud I set exposure so the meter reads in the middle of
the exposure display, a white cloud plus 1 or 2 stops, a black cloud
minus 1 or 2 stops.

> If the histogram is not as far to the right as it could
> be your image does not have as wide a dynamic range as
> the camera is capable of recording.  The shadow areas
> will have more noise than if it were exposed per ETTR.
> If you want any specific *final* tone levels, set it
> that way in post processing.  In essence, in post
> processing drop the "exposure" to make the editor's
> histogram show what you think the camera's should have
> shown absent ETTR adjustments.

Do you specifically reduce the exposure in post or some other method?
There are exposure sliders in ACR and Lightroom, as well as CS4.

Porte

From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Steven Redgate <stevered3(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you don't want any part of the scene to clip, then
>> shoot the sunrize ETTR. �It is *absolutely* necessary to
>> post process, where you set the exposure for whatever
>> effect you like. �ETTR does *not* cause washed out
>> colors (inappropriate post processing might though).
>
>By "washed out" I mean the image is brighter than what I saw when I
>took the picture and to get the image to represent what I saw I need
>to darken the image. By either reducing exposure or some other method
>in post.

You are aware that ETTR is a two part process, part one
being boost the exposure to maximum possible, and part
two is to later reduce it to whatever it is that makes
your heart beat fast enough.

You *have* to do both.

>> >When I shot slide film I would spot meter
>> >on an area that I knew what the meter should read and set exposure
>> >accordingly, and in digital this also yields a good looking sunrise.
>> >The histogram, however, is not as far to the right as it could be.
>>
>> How can you spot meter on an area that "I knew what the
>> meter would read"??? �I don't understand what you mean
>> by that statement.
>
>I spot meter on something that, from experience, I know what I want
>the light meter to indicate for exposure. For example (for film, no
>ETTR), a gray cloud I set exposure so the meter reads in the middle of
>the exposure display, a white cloud plus 1 or 2 stops, a black cloud
>minus 1 or 2 stops.

So you take wild guesses at what shade various parts of the
scene are! (Isn't the whole idea of a meter supposed to be
to get away from these wild guesses about exposure??? :-)

Sarcasm aside (because certainly with film that was an
almost required method), you don't need to guess any
more. Digital cameras provide tools that will
positively show you where your image is in terms of the
camera's dynamic range capability. That's what a
histogram does.

>> If the histogram is not as far to the right as it could
>> be your image does not have as wide a dynamic range as
>> the camera is capable of recording. �The shadow areas
>> will have more noise than if it were exposed per ETTR.
>> If you want any specific *final* tone levels, set it
>> that way in post processing. �In essence, in post
>> processing drop the "exposure" to make the editor's
>> histogram show what you think the camera's should have
>> shown absent ETTR adjustments.
>
>Do you specifically reduce the exposure in post or some other method?
>There are exposure sliders in ACR and Lightroom, as well as CS4.

Yes, in post processing.

In the camera, try to set exposure as high as is
possible. The closer to clipping the better (indeed,
clipping of some types of highlights might be perfectly
okay). The camera is essentially going to record the
same amount of noise regardless of your exposure
settings, so increasing exposure increases the
Signal-To-Noise-Ratio.

In post processing reduce exposure (which reduces noise
at the same amount it does the highlights) to give the
desired brightness.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Bob Larter on
Steven Redgate wrote:
>> If you don't want any part of the scene to clip, then
>> shoot the sunrize ETTR. It is *absolutely* necessary to
>> post process, where you set the exposure for whatever
>> effect you like. ETTR does *not* cause washed out
>> colors (inappropriate post processing might though).
>
> By "washed out" I mean the image is brighter than what I saw when I
> took the picture and to get the image to represent what I saw I need
> to darken the image. By either reducing exposure or some other method
> in post.

Correct. You can reduce the exposure slider, or you can move the black
level on the tone curve to the left hand side of the histogram (which is
what I do), which retains the highlights.

From: Porte Rouge on

> You are aware that ETTR is a two part process, part one
> being boost the exposure to maximum possible, and part
> two is to later reduce it to whatever it is that makes
> your heart beat fast enough.
>
> You *have* to do both.

Yes, I understand. My question is, after ETTR what exactly do you
yourself do in post processing. Do you adjust exposure, black point,
or something else?

> >> How can you spot meter on an area that "I knew what the
> >> meter would read"???  I don't understand what you mean
> >> by that statement.
>
> >I spot meter on something that, from experience, I know what I want
> >the light meter to indicate for exposure. For example (for film, no
> >ETTR), a gray cloud I set exposure so the meter reads in the middle of
> >the exposure display, a white cloud plus 1 or 2 stops, a black cloud
> >minus 1 or 2 stops.
>
> So you take wild guesses at what shade various parts of the
> scene are!  (Isn't the whole idea of a meter supposed to be
> to get away from these wild guesses about exposure??? :-)

It's not really a wild guess. It's like the earlier post about the
snow bank. I was taught and learned that if I spot metered the snow
and set exposure so the exposure display read dead center, the snow
would be gray in the photo. If I use 1 or 2 stops more exposure it
will be whiter. If I spot meter the black dog and the exposure meter
is centered the dog will be gray, so I use less exposure and it will
be darker.

Porte
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
Porte Rouge <porterougeman(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You are aware that ETTR is a two part process, part one
>> being boost the exposure to maximum possible, and part
>> two is to later reduce it to whatever it is that makes
>> your heart beat fast enough.
>>
>> You *have* to do both.
>
>Yes, I understand. My question is, after ETTR what exactly do you
>yourself do in post processing. Do you adjust exposure, black point,
>or something else?

"After ETTR" means it follows adjusting *exposure* in
post processing.

Incidentally, black point has nothing to do with ETTR or
exposure. For most images if gamma is set correctly
there is no need to move the black point up. Generally
I click on "Auto" for black point, and if it moves the
curve away from the lower right corner I reset it and
review the gamma settings to make sure I've got that
right. Some times it does work out that it helps to
move the black point, but not often.

I adjust exposure, white balance, gamma and linearity,
black point, color saturation and potentially things
like noise reduction and certain lens specific
corrections all with the raw converter. An image editor
is used for resizing, cropping, retouching, USM, borders,
watermarks, etc.

>> >I spot meter on something that, from experience, I know what I want
>> >the light meter to indicate for exposure. For example (for film, no
>> >ETTR), a gray cloud I set exposure so the meter reads in the middle of
>> >the exposure display, a white cloud plus 1 or 2 stops, a black cloud
>> >minus 1 or 2 stops.
>>
>> So you take wild guesses at what shade various parts of the
>> scene are! �(Isn't the whole idea of a meter supposed to be
>> to get away from these wild guesses about exposure??? :-)
>>

>It's not really a wild guess. It's like the earlier post about the
>snow bank. I was taught and learned that if I spot metered the snow
>and set exposure so the exposure display read dead center, the snow
>would be gray in the photo. If I use 1 or 2 stops more exposure it
>will be whiter.

So you take a wild guess at 1 or 2 stops more! Even
with film and no histograms most accomplished
photographers attempted to get within 1/2 a stop.
Today, with digital and histograms, it is entirely
possible to be within 1/3rd of a stop.

This may or may not be obvious (I live 300+ miles north
of the Arctic Circle); but do realize that I literally
take thousands of images that include snow! It really
does require paying attention before hand if you want
detail in the snow, or if it can just be "white" or if
it can be blown out totally. (There is this
false claim that Eskimos have 100 words for snow, which
they don't... but skiers do and so do photographers! :-)

And all of that has to be balanced against the
brightness level for people's faces, black dogs, and
white bears.

>If I spot meter the black dog and the exposure meter
>is centered the dog will be gray, so I use less exposure and it will
>be darker.

You guess at how much darker it should be...

What a spot meter can show you (and a histogram can show
even more easily), is how much of a range you have
between the dog and whatever else there is. If it
happens to be a snow bank, it might well be 7 or 8 stops
difference and arbitarily adjusting the dog to something
that "will be darker" will mean that you lose the
texture of the snow. The trick is realizing that the
dog is going to be off scale, so getting texture on both
the snow and the dog means putting the snow right at the
maximum. Then in post processing the brightness is
adjusted to maintain the snow at just under maximum
white while contrast is adjusted to bring the texture on
the dog out of the black.

It depends on the dynamic range of your camera of
course, but the closer one puts the snow to maximum
white the less noise will show up on the texture of the
dog.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com