From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:10:04 +0100, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:39:28 -0500, David Wilkinson
><no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote:
>
>>I guess I'm just comfortable using Workstation and VPC2007, because that's what
>>I was doing on XP. Upgrade to Workstation 7 (or free Reader 3) and licensed
>>XP-mode comes for free.
>
>Does XP-mode really come for free even if not used in WVPC?
>I thought that it was free in order to enable Win7 users who have apps
>tha won't run on Win7 to still use them by running then in XP-mode.
>Instead of fixing up Win7 to run these apps Microsoft offered a free
>XP-bubble to run them in.
>
>But is it really legal to download that XP virtual machine and then
>run it inside VMWare Workstation7 or Player3??

Yes, you are licensed for 1 XP-Mode if you have Pro, Ent, or Ult.
Licensing is based on the host OS, not WinVPC.

But, with VPC2007 it won't activate, with VMW it will.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:45:13 -0800, Dave Warren
<dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:

>In message <9160n5lqkcn9avplfad4elb50k42f2413b(a)4ax.com> Robert Comer
><bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>You can run VMWare on a PC with WVPC too, you just can't run VM's from
>>both at the same time as WVPC needs VT and VMWare uses it if it's
>>there and you can't turn it off. (and two apps can't use it at the
>>same time yet.)
>
>This isn't an issue with recent VMWare Workstation releases, it
>automatically detects WVPC and switches off VT when appropriate.

But, only if you've started WVPC first. If you've got VMWare running
and try to start WVPC, blam! blue-screen...at least the last time I
forgot and started up WVPC while running a VMWare VM.

From: Robert Comer on
>But, only if you've started WVPC first. If you've got VMWare running
>and try to start WVPC, blam! blue-screen...at least the last time I
>forgot and started up WVPC while running a VMWare VM.

That's what I suspected would happen, but haven't tested it yet.

--
Bob Comer

From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:26:52 -0500, David Wilkinson
<no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote:

>> How do you mean that one can open/import it with VMWare? I have
>> WorkStation 7.0.1 (latest update applied a week ago) on my XP-Pro SP3
>
>The host has to be running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate in
>order for this to work. Using VMWare only allows you to do things that you could
>have done with WVPC, except that you do not need hardware virtualization.

But in order to install WVPC you *have* to have VT, right?
So if this is a way to circumvent the need for VT by running it in
VMWare there seems to be a catch-22 on installation if you don't have
VT in the first place....

>You first have to *install* the XP Virtual Machine. It shows up as "Windows XP
>Mode" in the Windows 7 list of installed programs (Programs and Features). Only
>after you have done this does the "Import Windows XP Mode VM" item appear on the
>Workstation File menu. You have to install the XP Mode before you open
>Workstation, or Workstation will not realize it is there.

So I need both Win7 Ult and VT to install XPmode fully, then I can use
VMWare without VT and run the XPMode guest. What is the puropose of
that?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Tom Mason on
Well, as a computer troglodyte, XP mode VM does everything I want (and I suspect everything MS intended for me to do). I use it to run my Compaq Fortran 90 complier, to print labels on my DVDs with my Epson R320 printer, to scan documents and OCR them with Textbridge Pro, all of which do not work with native Win7. I love it.

I also used Virtual Machine to create VMs for DOS 6.22. NT 3.51 Workstation, NT 3.51 Server, WFW 3.11, NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 95, and Windows 98SE, all of which work without problems. All of these VMs work, the performance is good, and creating them was fun. What's wrong with that?

Tom Mason
"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote in message news:58j0n5t6s6kn1nh7d70louhgt9p8d2hgp3(a)4ax.com...
In message <O6ym4DMqKHA.5840(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> David Wilkinson
<no-reply(a)effisols.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Dave Warren wrote:
>> In message <39FAA913-E15F-489F-904F-C09D1C75D503(a)microsoft.com> "senn"
>> <senn(a)homeplace&.fix> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>>> If the user have a vacant XP license to install in a VPC2007.
>>
>> If you don't already have one, start shopping, they can still be found
>> and you'll need it whether you use Virtual PC 2007, VMWare, or something
>> else entirely.
>
>The licensed XP mode virtual machine runs in VMWare Workstation 7 or VMWare
>Reader 3, and you can run VPC2007 at the same time.
>
>A much better solution than WVPC in my opinion.

I can't see the point of VMWare Workstation and VPC2007 at the same
time. VMWare does everything VPC and WVPC does and more except for
Unity mode which is painfully slow on VMWare vs WVPC in "Application
Virtualization" mode.