From: Karl E. Peterson on
So I moved to Win7 x64, and put the new "Windows Virtual PC" XP Mode
thing on. (What's the easiest way to identify that, as opposed to
VPC2007, here?)

Brought along VMs from the past, including 2000 and 95, built with
either VPC2004 or 2007. Doesn't seem I can share the clipboard
anymore, and trying to update the extensions pretty much never works.
Any solutions for that?

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Robert Comer on
>So I moved to Win7 x64, and put the new "Windows Virtual PC" XP Mode
>thing on. (What's the easiest way to identify that, as opposed to
>VPC2007, here?)

Just call it WVPC...

>Brought along VMs from the past, including 2000 and 95, built with
>either VPC2004 or 2007. Doesn't seem I can share the clipboard
>anymore, and trying to update the extensions pretty much never works.
>Any solutions for that?

No solutions, the old additions do still work but they're limited. No
shared folders and clipboard for older OS's.

No way to update to the integration components either, they're XPSP3
and up.

--
Bob Comer

From: David Wilkinson on
ohaya wrote:
> I was actually more interested in using XP mode, but when I found that
> you couldn't run both "WVPC" and VPC 2007 on the same Win7, I had to
> make a decision, WVPC or VPC 2007, so I went with VPC 2007...

You can run the XP-Mode virtual machine in VMWare Workstation 7 (not free) or
VMWare Reader 3.0 (free) and use VPC2007 at the same time.

And the VMWare products do not require hardware virtualization.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: David Wilkinson on
Dave Warren wrote:
> In message <39FAA913-E15F-489F-904F-C09D1C75D503(a)microsoft.com> "senn"
> <senn(a)homeplace&.fix> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> If the user have a vacant XP license to install in a VPC2007.
>
> If you don't already have one, start shopping, they can still be found
> and you'll need it whether you use Virtual PC 2007, VMWare, or something
> else entirely.

The licensed XP mode virtual machine runs in VMWare Workstation 7 or VMWare
Reader 3, and you can run VPC2007 at the same time.

A much better solution than WVPC in my opinion.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: Robert Comer on
>A much better solution than WVPC in my opinion.

Depends on what you need to do, I'll take WVPC myself...

You can run VMWare on a PC with WVPC too, you just can't run VM's from
both at the same time as WVPC needs VT and VMWare uses it if it's
there and you can't turn it off. (and two apps can't use it at the
same time yet.)

--
Bob Comer