From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:24:32 -0800, Dave Warren
<dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:

>In message <0en1n5letjkenildv9qt018lfj0e5ckqi6(a)4ax.com> "Steve Jain
>[MVP]" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:45:13 -0800, Dave Warren
>><dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:

>>>This isn't an issue with recent VMWare Workstation releases, it
>>>automatically detects WVPC and switches off VT when appropriate.
>>
>>But, only if you've started WVPC first. If you've got VMWare running
>>and try to start WVPC, blam! blue-screen...at least the last time I
>>forgot and started up WVPC while running a VMWare VM.
>
>That doesn't seem to happen here. I'm not certain if VMWare handles
>this somehow, or if it just disables VT whenever WVPC is installed.

I'll take your word for it for now. I'm not up to potentially
blue-screening my system right now. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Robert Comer on
>I'll take your word for it for now. I'm not up to potentially
>blue-screening my system right now. ;-)

I plan on trying it. <g>

--
Bob Comer

From: Robert Comer on
>I'll take your word for it for now. I'm not up to potentially
>blue-screening my system right now. ;-)

No crash here, starting VMWare VM first or last. And you can run a
64-bit guest with a WVPC running. Curious, I wonder how they do it.

From: Dave Warren on
In message <tb93n5peh3a9hedtbfsk1k7ktia7v51h9q(a)4ax.com> "Steve Jain
[MVP]" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:45:13 -0800, Dave Warren
><dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:
>
>>In message <O6ym4DMqKHA.5840(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> David Wilkinson
>><no-reply(a)effisols.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>>>The licensed XP mode virtual machine runs in VMWare Workstation 7 or VMWare
>>>Reader 3, and you can run VPC2007 at the same time.
>>>
>>>A much better solution than WVPC in my opinion.
>>
>>I can't see the point of VMWare Workstation and VPC2007 at the same
>>time. VMWare does everything VPC and WVPC does and more except for
>>Unity mode which is painfully slow on VMWare vs WVPC in "Application
>>Virtualization" mode.
>
>VMWare Workstation is not free, big difference. Not everyone needs a
>500MB VM package.

True. But *if* you're already using VMWare workstation for any of it's
multitude of features that Microsoft doesn't compete with, I can't
imagine why you'd also run VPC2007.

WVPC brings a few things to the table, application virtualization mode
being a prime example (VMWare has similar, called "Unity" but it's
painfully slow)
From: David Wilkinson on
Dave Warren wrote:
> True. But *if* you're already using VMWare workstation for any of it's
> multitude of features that Microsoft doesn't compete with, I can't
> imagine why you'd also run VPC2007.
>
> WVPC brings a few things to the table, application virtualization mode
> being a prime example (VMWare has similar, called "Unity" but it's
> painfully slow)

Perhaps because I am more familiar with it, I find VPC 2007 easier to use than
Workstation. Also I have a bunch of VPC virtual machines that I use to test my
software -- I could convert them I guess, but why bother?

I agree that Unity is very very slow, and I would have been interested to try
the corresponding feature in WVPC, but my current machine does not have hardware
virtualization.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP