From: David Wilkinson on
Bo Berglund wrote
[snip]
> But in order to install WVPC you *have* to have VT, right?
> So if this is a way to circumvent the need for VT by running it in
> VMWare there seems to be a catch-22 on installation if you don't have
> VT in the first place....
[snip]
> So I need both Win7 Ult and VT to install XPmode fully, then I can use
> VMWare without VT and run the XPMode guest. What is the puropose of
> that?

You have to install the XP-Mode image (not WVPC) in Windows 7. It is WVPC that
needs VT, not the XP-Mode machine.

The purpose is that you get a free XP license for use as a guest. If you have
spare licenses, you really don't need it.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 23:58:59 -0500, Robert Comer
<bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>>But, only if you've started WVPC first. If you've got VMWare running
>>and try to start WVPC, blam! blue-screen...at least the last time I
>>forgot and started up WVPC while running a VMWare VM.
>
>That's what I suspected would happen, but haven't tested it yet.

Yeah, its not something I'm keen on testing. Generally, I've found
that as long as WVPC is started first other VM software works, and
other VM software seems to be respectful of each other than WVPC.
IIRC, I've had VBox and VMWare running together, but if you start up
WVPC with any other VM software running, you get the bluescreen.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:45:13 -0800, Dave Warren
<dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:

>In message <O6ym4DMqKHA.5840(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> David Wilkinson
><no-reply(a)effisols.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>Dave Warren wrote:

>>> If you don't already have one, start shopping, they can still be found
>>> and you'll need it whether you use Virtual PC 2007, VMWare, or something
>>> else entirely.
>>
>>The licensed XP mode virtual machine runs in VMWare Workstation 7 or VMWare
>>Reader 3, and you can run VPC2007 at the same time.
>>
>>A much better solution than WVPC in my opinion.
>
>I can't see the point of VMWare Workstation and VPC2007 at the same
>time. VMWare does everything VPC and WVPC does and more except for
>Unity mode which is painfully slow on VMWare vs WVPC in "Application
>Virtualization" mode.

VMWare Workstation is not free, big difference. Not everyone needs a
500MB VM package.

From: Dave Warren on
In message <0en1n5letjkenildv9qt018lfj0e5ckqi6(a)4ax.com> "Steve Jain
[MVP]" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:45:13 -0800, Dave Warren
><dave-usenet(a)djwcomputers.com> wrote:
>
>>In message <9160n5lqkcn9avplfad4elb50k42f2413b(a)4ax.com> Robert Comer
>><bobcomer-removeme-(a)mindspring.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>>>You can run VMWare on a PC with WVPC too, you just can't run VM's from
>>>both at the same time as WVPC needs VT and VMWare uses it if it's
>>>there and you can't turn it off. (and two apps can't use it at the
>>>same time yet.)
>>
>>This isn't an issue with recent VMWare Workstation releases, it
>>automatically detects WVPC and switches off VT when appropriate.
>
>But, only if you've started WVPC first. If you've got VMWare running
>and try to start WVPC, blam! blue-screen...at least the last time I
>forgot and started up WVPC while running a VMWare VM.

That doesn't seem to happen here. I'm not certain if VMWare handles
this somehow, or if it just disables VT whenever WVPC is installed.
From: Robert Comer on
>Yeah, its not something I'm keen on testing. Generally, I've found
>that as long as WVPC is started first other VM software works,

Can VMWare WS run a 64-bit guest if WVPC is already running? I had a
minor update I could do with WS 7, so I just did that last night
rather than test this stuff.

> and
>other VM software seems to be respectful of each other than WVPC.

It seems so, we might have to talk about that next week. <g>

--
Bob Comer