From: Robert Comer on
>Cram too much into it?

That's my impression, yes.

>Unity's problem is the way it detects and draws windows, it's using a
>VNC-of-1999 type approach of reading parts of virtual video memory vs
>WVPC which uses RDP.

That would certainly slow things down in Unity, but it's slow from
more than that, it's sharing more than just the app window.

It's true I haven't run it much, it was one of the things I didn't
like so haven't played with it a lot. VMWare Fusion has Unity also
and I've probably played with that more than Unity on the PC, but it's
not real good there either.

>More annoyingly, VMWare has some quirks capturing and releasing the
>mouse/keyboard.

I really haven't noticed that lately.

>However, given that VMWare tries to support multiple guest OSes on
>multiple types of hosts, they're somewhat limited in their approach.

Very true.

--
Bob Comer

From: David Wilkinson on
Robert Comer wrote:
>> Cram too much into it?
>
> That's my impression, yes.
>
>> Unity's problem is the way it detects and draws windows, it's using a
>> VNC-of-1999 type approach of reading parts of virtual video memory vs
>> WVPC which uses RDP.

On a (slightly) related note, do you find in general that VMWare virtual
machines run better under Remote Desktop than under VMWare Workstation itself?

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
From: Robert Comer on
>On a (slightly) related note, do you find in general that VMWare virtual
>machines run better under Remote Desktop than under VMWare Workstation itself?

I haven't used a VMWare VM with RDP in a long time -- I mainly only
run Linux in VMWare, so that's not an option. Have you noticed a
difference?

--
Bob Comer

From: Dave Warren on
In message <eOJQQ1pqKHA.1936(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> David Wilkinson
<no-reply(a)effisols.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Robert Comer wrote:
>>> Cram too much into it?
>>
>> That's my impression, yes.
>>
>>> Unity's problem is the way it detects and draws windows, it's using a
>>> VNC-of-1999 type approach of reading parts of virtual video memory vs
>>> WVPC which uses RDP.
>
>On a (slightly) related note, do you find in general that VMWare virtual
>machines run better under Remote Desktop than under VMWare Workstation itself?

I noticed this in the 6.x era, but not in Workstation 6.5/7.0, with the
possible exception of disabling options in the "Experience" tab of MSTSC
(in which case you should look for similar options in the VM itself)