From: glird on
On Jan 27, 5:44 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>    Velocity is defined as dr/dt, Phil!
>      http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Velocity.html

I looked there and then at
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Wavenumber.html
and found this:
"There are unfortunately two different definitions of the
wavenumber. French (1971, p. 214) uses the definition
(1) k = 1/
gamma,
where gamma is the wavelength. However, as French notes, it is more
common in theoretical physics to use the definition
(2) k = 2 pi/
gamma".

In the quantum of energy in a photon, the length per wave is equal
to 2 pi r, where r is the length of a radius of a circle. Let r = 1
cm for now. Then gamma = 2pi cm; and Eq 1 says
the wavenumber k = 1/gamma = 1/2pi = .1591549 cm.
HOWEVER, if we let r = .0001 cm then Eq 1 says
the wavenumber k = 1/gamma = 1/(2pi x .0001) = 1591.5494 cm
and Eq 2 says
k = 2pi/(2pi x gamma = 2 pi/(2pi x .0001) = 1/.0001) = 10,000 cm.
Either way, why should the "wavenumber" be a function of an unknown
value of r; but if r is stipulated it remains a constant regardless of
how many waves there might be in a given photon? Why should the "wave
number" of the 4th wave in a series of 500 be the same as that of the
44th and the 53nd and all of them?

As to Sam's "Velocity is defined as dr/dt, Phil!"; Phil had said:
"If v = m/s and s is reduced then v will increase."
In his equation, m denotes "meters" and s denotes "seconds".
In Sam's equation, dr denotes a length and dt an interval of time.
Since the unit of length is a meter and the unit of time is a
second,
v = m/s = meters per second is either identical or equivalent to
v = dr/dt = meters per second.

glird
From: spudnik on
there are no photons. see, you say taht r is "the radius
of a circle," which seems to be a confusion of the notion
of a "plane wave," whose radius is ideally infinite;
sibstitute diameter-not-in-the-plane.

>   Either way, why should the "wavenumber" be a function of an unknown
> value of r; but if r is stipulated it remains a constant regardless of
> how many waves there might be in a given photon?  Why should the "wave
> number" of the 4th wave in a series of 500 be the same as that of the
> 44th and the 53nd and all of them?

thus:
I would say that the LHC or its omnipotent caretakeers had
to take a few pages out of its flip-book --
just rip them right out & shred,
like the Royal Astronomer would try to do to yours, if
you were to question his Reality Bumpersticker.

> comparable reason in the known physics of space and time to dismiss it
> as an illusion? I know of none. The only stimulus is a negative one.

--les OEuvres!
http://wlym.com