From: Bill Tillick on
I have a DBFServer filter that has worked fine under VO2.5, but now
isn't working under VO2.8
I have searched all the WhatsNew28...rtf and this forum, without
success.

The filter is set this way:
self:oView:oSFViewAllSDW:server:setFilter( { ||
ogHold:seek( _FIELD->EntryNum, true ) } )
but is shown as UNKNOWN in the debugger.

EntryNum is the key of the parent oView server, and is also a key
field in the child ogHold records.
ogHold may contain 0-many records associated with the same EntryNum.

The codeblock is used to filter to only the oView records that are
matched in ogHold.

Can someone help, please?

Thanks,
Bill
From: richard.townsendrose on
Bill

firstly the debugger ... there was a bug introduced in 2.8 in the
debugger in that unless something is strongly typed or a local it
always shows up as unknown. very annoying ... serach this ng.

on the filter.... try using text rather than a code block - especially
if you are using ADS.

are you using bbrowser (and if not why not) then you can create a
method or a function to do the work for you.

i always avoid using that type of record dependent filtering - geoof
will tell thats what sql is all about !

hope that helps a bit...

richard
From: BillT on
Hi Richard,
re debugger: thanks for that suggestion; I will give it a go soon.

re filter: I have tried both cb and text versions; same bad result.

re bBrowser: Not bBrowser in this program, just VO Browser, yet. It's
something I have been using for many years and am converting it to 2.8
plus adding a few enhancements. It's on my wishlist for rewriting, and
as I am into my 70s I will have to get a move on??

re filtering and SQL: The database is in .DBF and I am not
particularly wanting to convert it to SQL!

Thanks for the input.
Regards,
Bill
From: Dave Francis on
Bill,

Check out the 2.7/2.8 read me. (Don't have VO to hand now).

There is a setting to restore 2.5/2.6 work area swap settings. That
should fix it. But your use of _FIELD in that situation could be
misconstrued (which server does it refer to?) and you're mixing
dbserver and clipper syntax. Be warned, however, that restoring 2.5
settings will lose you a lot of performance.

HTH

Dave Francis

From: Stephen Quinn on
Bill

>I have a DBFServer filter that has worked fine under VO2.5, but now
> isn't working under VO2.8
Define 'isn't working'??
What happens now (some/none/all records shown)??

Use SetSelectiveRelation() instead of the filter, should work in both camps.

CYA
Steve