From: Halfix NB on

"Craig Welch" <craig(a)pacific.net.sg> wrote in message
> Halfix NB wrote:
>
>> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
>> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>>
>> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way
>> to do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and
>> don't know who runs it... etc. ?
>
> I'm not understanding you. Services such as this work. What is your
> problem with them? Do you think they fiddle the results? Why would they do
> that?

Because I don't want to hit a website that I cannot vouch for, nor can I be
sure that it is up and running etc. I also don't want to give my IP address
over to an unknown entity.

This sort of service should be given by the ISP, since the ISP is the one
allocating the IP number, and at least I know them as an entity. If the ISP
is not giving me a static IP then I should at least be able to determine my
IP from the ISP rather than having to go to another site.

> All they do is turn around the REMOTE_ADDR variable in your browser
> request. A variable that is available to *every* website that you visit.
>
>> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
>> should...
>
> Why should they? No-one would use such a service when services such as
> whatismyip.com work fine.

Well, they would. For the reasons I gave above.

From: who where on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:21:03 -0000, "Halfix NB"
<halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote:

>"Craig Welch" <craig(a)pacific.net.sg> wrote in message
>> Halfix NB wrote:
>>
>>> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
>>> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>>>
>>> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way
>>> to do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and
>>> don't know who runs it... etc. ?
>>
>> I'm not understanding you. Services such as this work. What is your
>> problem with them? Do you think they fiddle the results? Why would they do
>> that?
>>

>Because I don't want to hit a website that I cannot vouch for, nor can I be
>sure that it is up and running etc. I also don't want to give my IP address
>over to an unknown entity.
>
>This sort of service should be given by the ISP, since the ISP is the one
>allocating the IP number, and at least I know them as an entity. If the ISP
>is not giving me a static IP then I should at least be able to determine my
>IP from the ISP rather than having to go to another site.

Generally it is rather simple. Log into your router/modem and it will
tell you your ISP-assigned IP. Not rocket science.

From: Rob on
who where wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:21:03 -0000, "Halfix NB"
> <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote:
>
>> "Craig Welch" <craig(a)pacific.net.sg> wrote in message

>>> I'm not understanding you. Services such as this work. What is your
>>> problem with them? Do you think they fiddle the results? Why would they do
>>> that?
>>>
>> Because I don't want to hit a website that I cannot vouch for, nor can I be
>> sure that it is up and running etc. I also don't want to give my IP address
>> over to an unknown entity.
>>
>> This sort of service should be given by the ISP, since the ISP is the one
>> allocating the IP number, and at least I know them as an entity. If the ISP
>> is not giving me a static IP then I should at least be able to determine my
>> IP from the ISP rather than having to go to another site.
>
> Generally it is rather simple. Log into your router/modem and it will
> tell you your ISP-assigned IP. Not rocket science.

http://ozspeedtest.com/ menu at top - will reveal the IP address you are
using.
From: Rob on
Halfix NB wrote:
> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer that
> is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>
> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way to
> do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and don't know
> who runs it... etc. ?
>
> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
> should...

http://download.cnet.com/BlackICE-PC-Protection/3000-2092_4-10040175.html

try this and lets know if it works.
From: SG1 on
snip

> What do you believe any of these sites have to gain by giving you a
> 'fake' IP address?
>
> And why is it that you wish to know your IP address exactly?

He wants to hide and see if he can find himself.