From: Halfix NB on
What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer that
is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?

I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way to
do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and don't know
who runs it... etc. ?

Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
should...

From: Fred on

"Halfix NB" <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote in message
> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>
> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way to
> do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and don't
> know who runs it... etc. ?
>
> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
> should...

You can open a command prompt
For Windows it's Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt.
Then type
ipconfig /all
to display your network config

From: Halfix NB on

"Fred" <bluser(a)gaymail.com> wrote in message

> "Halfix NB" <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote in message
>> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
>> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>>
>> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way
>> to do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and
>> don't know who runs it... etc. ?
>>
>> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
>> should...
>
> You can open a command prompt
> For Windows it's Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt.
> Then type
> ipconfig /all
> to display your network config
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx

This will not display the external IP if your computer is behind a router
etc. How do I get the external IP?

From: Craig Welch on
Fred wrote:

> "Halfix NB" <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote in message
>> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
>> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>>
>> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way to
>> do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and don't
>> know who runs it... etc. ?
>>
>> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
>> should...
>
> You can open a command prompt
> For Windows it's Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt.
> Then type
> ipconfig /all
> to display your network config
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx

You can indeed.

Which has naught to do with the OP's question.
From: Craig Welch on
Halfix NB wrote:

> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer that
> is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>
> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way to
> do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and don't know
> who runs it... etc. ?

I'm not understanding you. Services such as this work. What is your
problem with them? Do you think they fiddle the results? Why would they
do that?

All they do is turn around the REMOTE_ADDR variable in your browser
request. A variable that is available to *every* website that you visit.

> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not, they
> should...

Why should they? No-one would use such a service when services such as
whatismyip.com work fine.