From: Michael Bednarek on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 05:15:23 -0000, Halfix NB wrote in aus.computers:

[snip]
>If for example I need to know my external IP for remote desktop management
>or other applications where I am connecting to another computer on the
>internet, then I should be able to find out the IP address without having to
>go to an unknown website. People seem to have a lot of unjustified trust in
>these websites. What is stopping these websitesusing the IP number for a
>malicious purpose? Would you want to put a customer or client at risk in
>this way?
[snip]

If remote desktop management etc is important to you, you need to invest
in a static IP address; ask your ISP.

As others have pointed out: if the knowledge of your IP address exposes
you to malicious purposes, your system lacks fundamental safeguards.
"Security through obscurity" rarely works.

From: who where on

for that, www.dyndns.com is a reasonabl solution for the non-paranoid.

>or other applications where I am connecting to another computer on the
>internet, then I should be able to find out the IP address without having to
>go to an unknown website.

As I and others have indicated, from the LAN side you can determine
this by logging in to your router/modem. From the WAN/internet side,
you WILL need another resource unless you have a static IP from your
ISP.

>What is stopping these websitesusing the IP number for a
>malicious purpose?

What is stopping *your_ISP* from doing that? With your level of
paranoia I'm surprised you trust *them*.
From: Halfix NB on

"Michael Bednarek" <mbATmbednarek.com(a)BLACKHOLESPAM.NET> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 05:15:23 -0000, Halfix NB wrote in aus.computers:
>
> [snip]
>>If for example I need to know my external IP for remote desktop management
>>or other applications where I am connecting to another computer on the
>>internet, then I should be able to find out the IP address without having
>>go to an unknown website. People seem to have a lot of unjustified trust
>>in
>>these websites. What is stopping these websitesusing the IP number for a
>>malicious purpose? Would you want to put a customer or client at risk in
>>this way?
> [snip]
>
> If remote desktop management etc is important to you, you need to invest
> in a static IP address; ask your ISP.

This doesn't help if the computer I wish to connect to doesn't have a static
IP.

> As others have pointed out: if the knowledge of your IP address exposes
> you to malicious purposes, your system lacks fundamental safeguards.
> "Security through obscurity" rarely works.

Handing out your IP number to a site of unknown origin could never be a good
idea as far as security is concerned, regardless of how good your security
software is.

From: Fred on

"Halfix NB" <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote in message

> "Fred" <bluser(a)gaymail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Halfix NB" <halifxnb(a)spamattack.comp> wrote in message
>>> What is the best way to find out the external IP address of a computer
>>> that is behind a router, modem, firewall, hub, etc... ?
>>>
>>> I know there are websites such as whatismyip.com, but is there some way
>>> to do this without hitting a website that I have no control over and
>>> don't know who runs it... etc. ?
>>>
>>> Do ISPs offer a service for finding out one's external ISP? If not,
>>> they should...
>>
>> You can open a command prompt
>> For Windows it's Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt.
>> Then type
>> ipconfig /all
>> to display your network config
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx
>
> This will not display the external IP if your computer is behind a router
> etc. How do I get the external IP?

I suppose one quick way of determining your public IP might be to send
yourself an email using your isp's mail server and see if your public IP is
displayed in the properties of the email. Mine is.
Also my ISP displays the users public IP in the member details area of their
website (requires login) as a result of member requests.

From: Rod Speed on
Michael Bednarek wrote
> Halfix NB wrote

>> If for example I need to know my external IP for remote desktop
>> management or other applications where I am connecting to another
>> computer on the internet, then I should be able to find out the IP
>> address without having to go to an unknown website. People seem to
>> have a lot of unjustified trust in these websites. What is stopping
>> these websitesusing the IP number for a malicious purpose?
>> Would you want to put a customer or client at risk in this way?

> If remote desktop management etc is important to you,
> you need to invest in a static IP address; ask your ISP.

He appears to want to be able to get the IP of others, so he can remotely
desktop manage THEIR systems, presumably for maintenance etc even
tho the first sentence of his does say his external IP.