From: 1jam on
mjt wrote:

>> > Targeted advertising? I don't see it happening.
>>
>> All interaction with google is retained (6 months now?), aggregated, and
>> traced to you via cookie and or IP address.
>
> You're talking about using www.google.com for web searches, right?
> What does that have to do with using Chrome?
>
>> Of course all major websites do this, and all browsers are susceptible
>
> And I can surf the 'Net anonymously if I choose to do so.

Some Chrome tracking features:

Client-ID, Timestamp, Suggest, Alternate Error Pages, Error Reporting, RLZ-
Tracking, Google Updater, and URL-Tracker.

Also:
http://techtites.com/2008/12/20/stop-google-from-tracking-your-chrome-usage/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Usage_tracking

HTH

From: Paul J Gans on
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
>On Wednesday 30 Jun 2010 20:00, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
>Paul J Gans painted this mural:

>> rsink@_invalid_no.org wrote:

>>>You must mean the ia64 cause the x86_64 is there
>>
>>>ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1/x86_64/MozillaFirefox-3.6.6-1.1.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> What comes up in Yast with openbuildservice/mozilla is 3.5.9. Yast
>> does not want to create a repository from the URL above.

>I'm not surprised, as it's not valid for creating a repo. What you'd
>want to use is:

>http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1

>Using zypper, you can add it using something like:

>zypper addrepo -f -c -n 'Latest Mozilla packages' \
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1 Mozilla

>either as root, or by prefixing it with "sudo" (hi mjt :)

>If you're wanting to specifically use the gwdg.de mirror, rather than
>using download.opensuse.org, use something like:

>zypper addrepo -f -c -n 'Latest Mozilla packages' \
> http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1 Mozilla

>instead.

>And if you're wanting to use YaST2 to add it, use:

>Software Repositories -> Add

>select "Community Repositories" and click "Next" , then mark the
>checkbox for "openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla" , click "Okay" , and
>then set priority, auto-refresh, etc. as required.

>> I'm not sure why. I can reach it just fine in Firefox.

>That's because it's not a valid repository URL, but is the path
>directly to the package. Trim off everything from "/x86_64/" to ".rpm"
>and they will accept it as a valid repository URL.

Oh, I did that.

But your URL is the one I've been using. It shows 3.5.9 as the
latest version. This is on a 64-bit machine.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: Paul J Gans on
Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>On 30/06/10 21:05, Paul J Gans wrote:
>> mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Add the "Mozilla" repo
>>
>> I have
>>
>> http://download/opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.1
>>
>> It shows Firefox 3.5.9.

>YAST installed Firefox 3.5.9 for Open Suse 11.2 32 bit too.

I have 3.6.x at home on my 32 bit machine. I got it via Yast.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: mjt on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:42:56 +0000 (UTC)
Paul J Gans <gansno(a)panix.com> wrote:

> >and they will accept it as a valid repository URL.
>
> Oh, I did that.
>
> But your URL is the one I've been using. It shows 3.

I've a reply in this thread discussing the discrepancy
you describe - if using the Yast GUI, you have to "switch"
to use the packages in the Mozilla repo, otherwise you'll
see the version in the standard repo.

(PS - please trim your reply-posts)

--
Hanlon's Razor:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

From: mjt on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 12:02:59 -0800
1jam <com(a)example.net> wrote:

> > You're talking about using www.google.com for web searches, right?
> > What does that have to do with using Chrome?

> Some Chrome tracking features:
>
> Client-ID, Timestamp, Suggest, Alternate Error Pages, Error Reporting, RLZ-
> Tracking, Google Updater, and URL-Tracker.
>
> Also:
> http://techtites.com/2008/12/20/stop-google-from-tracking-your-chrome-usage/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Usage_tracking

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/16/google_chrome_unique_identifier_change/

BTW, I should be clear about something ... I use "Chromium"
and not Google's take on it, "Google Chrome"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)#Differences_between_Chromium_and_Google_Chrome
[quote]
Google takes this source code and adds on the Google name and logo,
an auto-updater system called GoogleUpdate, an opt-in option for
users to send Google their usage statistics and crash reports as
well as, in some instances, RLZ-tracking which transmits information
in encoded form to Google, for example, when and where Chrome has
been downloaded.

In June 2010 Google confirmed that the RLZ tracking token is only
present in versions of Chrome that are downloaded as part of marketing
promotions and distribution partnerships and *****not in versions*****
of Chrome downloaded from the Google website directly or in any versions
of Chromium. The RLZ source code was also made open source at the same
time so that developers can confirm what it is and how it works."
[/quote]

--
Actor: So what do you do for a living?
Doris: I work for a company that makes deceptively shallow serving