From: Paul van Delst on
rfengineer55 wrote:
> What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
> handbook?

I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)

> Wha do you like about it, and where do you think it falls short?

What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.

What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.

> Do you consider this an indispensible reference, or is it nothing
> special?

I've found it extremely useful.

> How difficult would it be to gather the same information content from
> other books?

There really is only one other that comes close: Fortran 95/2003 Explained by MRC. But for
just F2003 stuff, I like the handbook better.

> Is the book worth the cost, in your opinion?

For me, definitely. For you, well, I can't say. Why not check out a copy from the library
and see if it useful to you.

cheers,

paulv
From: Paul van Delst on

From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 11, 9:04 am, Paul van Delst <paul.vande...(a)noaa.gov> wrote:
> rfengineer55 wrote:
> > What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
> > handbook?
>
> I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
> compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)
>
> > Wha do you like about it, and where do you think it falls short?
>
> What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.
>
> What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
> more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.
>
> > Do you consider this an indispensible reference, or  is it nothing
> > special?
>
> I've found it extremely useful.
>
> > How difficult would it be to gather the same information content from
> > other books?
>
> There really is only one other that comes close: Fortran 95/2003 Explained by MRC. But for
> just F2003 stuff, I like the handbook better.
>
> > Is the book worth the cost, in your opinion?
>
> For me, definitely. For you, well, I can't say. Why not check out a copy from the library
> and see if it useful to you.
>
> cheers,
>
> paulv

Contributors to this thread:

Thank you for sharing your opinions about the book. I have placed an
order for a copy. I'm happy to learn that one of our contributors here
is one of the book's authors :-)

Even better !

Jeff
RF ENGINEER55
From: Luka Djigas on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:04:31 -0400, Paul van Delst
<paul.vandelst(a)noaa.gov> wrote:

>rfengineer55 wrote:
>> What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
>> handbook?
>
>I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
>compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)
>
>> Wha do you like about it, and where do you think it falls short?
>
>What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.
>
>What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
>more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.

While this is rather unbecomingly, expecially towards Mr. Maine, him
being one of the coauthors, I hope he will forgive me, if I inform you
that there is an ebook of the Handbook. It is in .pdf format, with
bookmarks, ability to search it, and everything else really that comes
with books in that format.

I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy, nor where I got
it; did I download it from somewhere or did somebody give it to me;
just know that it has been on my computer for some time now.

Should Mr. Maine give his blessing, I would be more than happy to
forward you a copy via mail, for it is rather small in size, in
contrast to its "paper" edition. Paper books nowadays, are becoming
rather heavy (both figuratively and literally) to be carried around
freely (and their number on my shelf seems to be growing constantly).

-- Luka
From: Richard Maine on
Luka Djigas <ldigas(a)get.rid.of.this.gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy

I'm sure it is pirated. I would have liked for an ebook form to be
available, but the publisher was not agreeable to that, largely because
of problems with pirating.

> Should Mr. Maine give his blessing,

No, I certainly can't do that.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain