From: Paul van Delst on
Luka Djigas wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:04:31 -0400, Paul van Delst
> <paul.vandelst(a)noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> rfengineer55 wrote:
>>> What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
>>> handbook?
>> I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
>> compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)
>>
>>> Wha do you like about it, and where do you think it falls short?
>> What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.
>>
>> What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
>> more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.
>
> While this is rather unbecomingly, expecially towards Mr. Maine, him
> being one of the coauthors, I hope he will forgive me, if I inform you
> that there is an ebook of the Handbook. It is in .pdf format, with
> bookmarks, ability to search it, and everything else really that comes
> with books in that format.
>
> I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy, nor where I got
> it; did I download it from somewhere or did somebody give it to me;
> just know that it has been on my computer for some time now.
>
> Should Mr. Maine give his blessing, I would be more than happy to
> forward you a copy via mail, for it is rather small in size, in
> contrast to its "paper" edition. Paper books nowadays, are becoming
> rather heavy (both figuratively and literally) to be carried around
> freely (and their number on my shelf seems to be growing constantly).

Well, as I keep my eBook collection on my work computer, they all have to be "properly"
obtained/paid for. My employers take a very dim view of piracy of any kind -- not to
suggest your copy is pirated, just that even the appearance of impropriety is A Bad Thing
for me.

I did visit the Springer site and a cursory search found no e-version of the handbook for
sale. :o( Bum.

The eBook tide is turning I think. OReilly never used to offer PDF versions of their books
(Safari not included), but now they do. Maybe Springer isn't far behind?

cheers,

paulv
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 11, 9:43 am, Luka Djigas <ldi...(a)get.rid.of.this.gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:04:31 -0400, Paul van Delst
>
> <paul.vande...(a)noaa.gov> wrote:
> >rfengineer55 wrote:
> >> What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
> >> handbook?
>
> >I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
> >compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)
>
> >> Wha do you like about it, and where do you think it falls short?
>
> >What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.
>
> >What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
> >more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.
>
> While this is rather unbecomingly, expecially towards Mr. Maine, him
> being one of the coauthors, I hope he will forgive me, if I inform you
> that there is an ebook of the Handbook. It is in .pdf format, with
> bookmarks, ability to search it, and everything else really that comes
> with books in that format.
>
> I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy, nor where I got
> it; did I download it from somewhere or did somebody give it to me;
> just know that it has been on my computer for some time now.
>
> Should Mr. Maine give his blessing, I would be more than happy to
> forward you a copy via mail, for it is rather small in size, in
> contrast to its "paper" edition. Paper books nowadays, are becoming
> rather heavy (both figuratively and literally) to be carried around
> freely (and their number on my shelf seems to be growing constantly).
>
> -- Luka

Luka,

It is very kind of you to offer the ebook. Unfortunately, I am one of
those people that has a hard time reading a book from a computer.

I see where Richard has already declined having you send the ebook to
me.

Regardless, I still want to acknowledge you for your thoughtfulness.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: Luka Djigas on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:11:38 -0400, Paul van Delst
<paul.vandelst(a)noaa.gov> wrote:

>Well, as I keep my eBook collection on my work computer, they all have to be "properly"
>obtained/paid for. My employers take a very dim view of piracy of any kind -- not to
>suggest your copy is pirated, just that even the appearance of impropriety is A Bad Thing
>for me.

No, no ... you do not have to defend yourself against such
suggestions, for it is a sensible approach, and to tell frankly, I was
quite aware that there was a distinct possibility the copy was of an
illegal kind.

Since we have several "paper copies" in the library (well, two or
three), I naturally assumed there was a digital copy available as
well, being too lazy to check.

>I did visit the Springer site and a cursory search found no e-version of the handbook for
>sale. :o( Bum.
>
>The eBook tide is turning I think. OReilly never used to offer PDF versions of their books
>(Safari not included), but now they do. Maybe Springer isn't far behind?

It would be nice, yes. But the thing I miss even more is a good ebook
reader - light, good battery life and relatively cheap (Amazon's
Kindle reader costs almost as a low grade laptop!).

That and a standard on which of the many formats of ebooks available
today we shall finally settle on (pdf or djvu or ps seem rather
appealing to me).

Wishful thinking :-)

-- Luka

From: Luka Djigas on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:09:01 -0700, nospam(a)see.signature (Richard
Maine) wrote:

>Luka Djigas <ldigas(a)get.rid.of.this.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy
>
>I'm sure it is pirated. I would have liked for an ebook form to be
>available, but the publisher was not agreeable to that, largely because
>of problems with pirating.

Quite understandable. That settles the matter then
(may also read an answer to Paul van Delst).

I hope you don't find my previous answer offensive, for it was not my
intention for it to be so. I only offered it to mr. Delst (alone), for
he seemed to have a paper copy as well, and I thought it would've
provided purely an easier "interface" to its contents.

-- Luka

From: Ian on
Electronic versions of Springer books are available.

Have a look at

http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-1-84628-746-6

I don't know what the cost would be of 'buying'
the whole bookwould be though. $25 per chapter seems a bit expensive!

Also have a look at

https://springerlink.metapress.com/content/tk71qkm26711w646/resource-secured/?target=fulltext.pdf&sid=hrw0zc45iwmchg45uwpdxj45&sh=www.springerlink.com

This book appears to be part of the Springer catalogue that libraries
can 'buy'.

students can then buy 'paper' versions at significantly reduced
prices.

i'll contact springer next week and get more information.
They (the UK office) finish early on Friday, 3 or 4 p.m. I think.

Cheers

Ian Chivers
(springer author)

On Jun 11, 4:11 pm, Paul van Delst <paul.vande...(a)noaa.gov> wrote:
> Luka Djigas wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:04:31 -0400, Paul van Delst
> > <paul.vande...(a)noaa.gov> wrote:

> >> I've found it to be a great reference for trying to use the F2003 language (where
> >> compilers are available). Full disclosure: I consider myself a DickH and RichardM groupie :o)

> >> What I like: Lots of examples decribing the new features.
>
> >> What I don't like: No eBook version (at least, last time I checked.) I no longer have any
> >> more room on the shelves in my cube for actual paper books.
>
> > While this is rather unbecomingly, expecially towards Mr. Maine, him
> > being one of the coauthors, I hope he will forgive me, if I inform you
> > that there is an ebook of the Handbook. It is in .pdf format, with
> > bookmarks, ability to search it, and everything else really that comes
> > with books in that format.
>
> > I do not know whether is it a legal or a pirated copy, nor where I got
> > it; did I download it from somewhere or did somebody give it to me;
> > just know that it has been on my computer for some time now.
>
> > Should Mr. Maine give his blessing, I would be more than happy to
> > forward you a copy via mail, for it is rather small in size, in
> > contrast to its "paper" edition. Paper books nowadays, are becoming
> > rather heavy (both figuratively and literally) to be carried around
> > freely (and their number on my shelf seems to be growing constantly).
>
> Well, as I keep my eBook collection on my work computer, they all have to be "properly"
> obtained/paid for. My employers take a very dim view of piracy of any kind -- not to
> suggest your copy is pirated, just that even the appearance of impropriety is A Bad Thing
> for me.
>
> I did visit the Springer site and a cursory search found no e-version of the handbook for
> sale. :o( Bum.
>
> The eBook tide is turning I think. OReilly never used to offer PDF versions of their books
> (Safari not included), but now they do. Maybe Springer isn't far behind?
>
> cheers,
>
> paulv- Hide quoted text -

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5