From: Richard Maine on
Luka Djigas <ldigas(a)get.rid.of.this.gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope you don't find my previous answer offensive,

No, I didn't find it so.

> I only offered it to mr. Delst (alone), for
> he seemed to have a paper copy as well, and I thought it would've
> provided purely an easier "interface" to its contents.

That being the case, I do have some sympathy for the position. I just
can't "bless" it. It could probably be argued that it would violate our
contract with Springer for me to openly condone such a thing.

Sounds like he doesn't really want an ecopy anyway because he doesn't
like reading from computer screens. As a bit of an aside, I'm quite fond
of my Kindle. Reading from it is indeed a lot easier than reading from
most computer screens. I can even read it outside here in the desert
sun; that does *NOT* work with any other computer screen.

P.S. Understand that this has nothing to do with the... umm... I think
it is about $2 that I make on a sale of the book. I'm not that cheap.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Richard Maine on
Ian <ian_d_chivers(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Electronic versions of Springer books are available.
>
> Have a look at
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-1-84628-746-6

I don't know whether I had forgotten about or never knew about that.
Might be that I dismissed it because of...

From: Ian on
Hi Richard

Jane and I weren't notified by Springer about this
with our current Fortran book.
It came up in a conversation we had when discussing
a new book which we are currently working on.

From what I can remember about the conversation Springer have
'deals' (annual payments) with university libraries that cover their
whole
book list and through the library staff and students
can access any books on the list.

students then get access to a 'cheap' printed version.

As I said Springer are shut so I'll try getting more details next
week.

Cheers

Ian Chivers

From: Luka Djigas on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:50:19 -0700 (PDT), GaryScott
<garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>That looks fine, just sell a million of em :) (I already bought mine)

Now that you've mentioned it, I sometimes wonder what is the predicted
amount of books such as this, printed and sold - for it is a rather
narrow branch; the topic of the book being rather specialized even.

One would expect, fortran not being the most popular of languages
amongst the general population nowadays, for the books to "stay on the
slelf" a while ... but interestingly enough, in a small bookstore
which I visit regularly (it being on my daily walking route in the
evening) three to five copies of fortran books they get every
fortnight (various titles), they all dissapear usually in the same
week. Obviouly some interest exists.

-- Luka
From: Dan on
On Jun 10, 9:49 pm, rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> What are your thoughts regarding the contents of the Fortran 2003
> handbook?

> Is the book worth the cost, in your opinion?
>
> Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
>
> Jeff
> RF ENGINEER55

I don't know what the current asking price is.... but... it is IMHO a
good book. I have both the Fortran 90 Handbook and the Fortran 95
Handbook. I used mainly the F90 one as that's where I came up-to-date
on the newer Fortran capabilities originally ( I liked that book a
LOT!!). I also picked up the 2003 version a short while back. I
haven't used it too much yet as I don't have a 2003 compiler to play
with. However, what I have looked at in it is very good. IMHO, If
you get that one and one other (maybe Metcalf's) you'll be in good
shape I think. I always find that two references are better than just
one.

Dan :-)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5