From: Art on
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:59:53 -0400, Ron Lopshire <notron(a)ovbl.org>
wrote:

>badgolferman wrote:
>> Wilf, 8/11/2006, 9:50:46 AM, <44DC8B36.80205(a)wilf45728.com> wrote:

>>>yes, it's a cut-down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) 6. In
>>>which case, it should be good, even if much reduced in scope.
>>
>> Questions:
>> How do you know this is Kaspersky?
>> Would you use this product over NOD32?
>

>1) AOL Active Virus Shield
> (http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=19414)
>
>2) Depends. Are you using AOL? Both are good AV solutions. I would
>probably use a _free_ version of KAV _or_ NOD32, before I would pay
>for the other one, if you know what I mean.
>
>The AOL Active Virus Shield is a stripped down version of KAV 6. Same
>engine and definitions, but not the full customizability of KAV 6. And
>I am not sure that it contains all of the modules --- email AV, Web
>AV, PDM, etc.

I just took a look at it without "activating" it (I'm not interested
in getting their spam). It doesn't include the new v6 PDM module
or a web module. It just includes basic file and email scan modules.
Without activation, neither the updater nor the realtime/background
scanning functions are available, but they seem to be available via
activation. It has the same look and feel of a "regular" KAV 6.

Looks to me like something that could be recommended for emergency
use (tell them to be sure to activate and update) as well as a top
notch free alternative ... much better than other free av
alternatives. What's nice for emergency use is the limited scans
feature of memory, Windows files and the registry. That scan
goes very quickly and IMO is a very valuable "quick scan" feature
which likely finds active malware right off the bat.

Art
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman(a)gmail.com>

| Wilf, 8/11/2006, 9:50:46 AM, <44DC8B36.80205(a)wilf45728.com> wrote:
|
>> Cor wrote:
>>> http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?
>> yes, it's a cut-down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) 6. In
>> which case, it should be good, even if much reduced in scope.
|
| Questions:
| How do you know this is Kaspersky?
| Would you use this product over NOD32?

This was aksed about recently. I looked it up and yes... it uses a Kaspersky engine.

However, you must agree to be spammed and get Pop-Up advertisments !

AO-Hell ! { LOL }

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Art" <null(a)zilch.com>

| I just took a look at it without "activating" it (I'm not interested
| in getting their spam). It doesn't include the new v6 PDM module
| or a web module. It just includes basic file and email scan modules.
| Without activation, neither the updater nor the realtime/background
| scanning functions are available, but they seem to be available via
| activation. It has the same look and feel of a "regular" KAV 6.
|
| Looks to me like something that could be recommended for emergency
| use (tell them to be sure to activate and update) as well as a top
| notch free alternative ... much better than other free av
| alternatives. What's nice for emergency use is the limited scans
| feature of memory, Windows files and the registry. That scan
| goes very quickly and IMO is a very valuable "quick scan" feature
| which likely finds active malware right off the bat.
|
| Art

See my reply to "badFgolfer".

BTW: Did 'ya get my email ?

From: badgolferman on
David H. Lipman, 8/11/2006,5:55:56 PM, wrote:

> From: "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman(a)gmail.com>
>
> | Wilf, 8/11/2006, 9:50:46 AM, <44DC8B36.80205(a)wilf45728.com> wrote:

> >> yes, it's a cut-down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus (KAV) 6. In
> >> which case, it should be good, even if much reduced in scope.
> >
> > Questions:
> > How do you know this is Kaspersky?
> > Would you use this product over NOD32?
>
> This was aksed about recently. I looked it up and yes... it uses a
> Kaspersky engine.
>
> However, you must agree to be spammed and get Pop-Up advertisments !
>
> AO-Hell ! { LOL }

Uh, forget it then. An anti-virus product that spawns pop-ups and spam
is not doing its job properly.
From: Art on
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:57:07 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>See my reply to "badFgolfer".

Where?

>BTW: Did 'ya get my email ?

There was one a day or two back, but not recently. Why do you
als?

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last