From: -Nisko- on
For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70% to 90%
of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no avail. Once in
a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most of the time, it does
happen. The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so slow that
it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders -
and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these
has found anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to date. Can
anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......

From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
-Nisko- wrote:
> For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70% to 90%
> of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no avail. Once in
> a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most of the time, it does
> happen. The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so slow that
> it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders -
> and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these
> has found anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to date. Can
> anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......

You can use Process Explorer and look at the SVchost.exe and see what's
running with it, a hidden process. Svchost.exe is the host process,
whether that by malware or a legit process. You can use PE to see what
processes SVChost.exe is hosting.

http://www.vernalex.com/guides/malware/tools.shtml

If svchost.exe is not running out of the Winnt/system32 directory, then
it's a Trojan.

Go to the area about Process Explorer and learn how to use it to look at
running processes. It may not even be malware that's causing the problem
too and you can see all processes running with a host process such as an
(exe).

Duane :)
From: thecreator on
Hi Nisko,

Plug and Play Set to Manual
SSDP Discovery Service Set to Manual
Universal Plug and Play Device Host Set to Automatic

Go into Services and changes the above Services. Reboot.

--
thecreator

From: Vanguard on
"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
> -Nisko- wrote:
>> For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging
>> 70% to 90% of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit
>> to no avail. Once in a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen -
>> but, most of the time, it does happen. The result is that my PC
>> becomes extremely sluggish - so slow that it's unusable. I use
>> McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders - and the
>> Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these
>> has found anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to
>> date. Can anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......
>
> You can use Process Explorer and look at the SVchost.exe and see
> what's running with it, a hidden process. Svchost.exe is the host
> process, whether that by malware or a legit process. You can use PE
> to see what processes SVChost.exe is hosting.
>
> http://www.vernalex.com/guides/malware/tools.shtml
>
> If svchost.exe is not running out of the Winnt/system32 directory,
> then it's a Trojan.
>
> Go to the area about Process Explorer and learn how to use it to
> look at running processes. It may not even be malware that's causing
> the problem too and you can see all processes running with a host
> process such as an (exe).
>
> Duane :)

For Process Explorer and other system tools, tis probably best to go
to http://www.sysinternals.com to get them directly from SysInternals
instead of some 3rd party site.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "-Nisko-" <rmo555(a)cox.net>

| For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70% to 90%
| of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no avail. Once in
| a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most of the time, it does
| happen. The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so slow that
| it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders -
| and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these
| has found anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to date. Can
| anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......

Use the SysInternals ProcessExplorer and determine if SVCHOST.EXE is executed in a location
OTHER than %windir%\system32

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

If you find SVCHOST.EXE running in a different location, then its malware.

Look at "thecreator's" answers for possible resource hoggers.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

 |  Next  |  Last