From: Gabriele Neukam on
On this special day, kurt wismer wrote:

> though that may not be a big
> deal to some of us, others have to pay essentially by the kilobyte so
> leaving extraneous text in your quotes

This is an OT reply, but

before you think, these times are over, think of the new generation
cellular phones that can be used for web browsing without any vomputer,
whose services are still paid by the minute or data amount, so Kurts
point is quite viable.

See how I set my reply up, use the same scheme, and you should be done.
BTW: The "information" text in my signature gives it a special meaning,
doens't it?

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam(a)t-online.de

--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away, just so, at no cost.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Peter Seiler" <psprivate(a)mailinator.com>

| Dave, I'm not shure! Otherwise your remarks "That's all peter does
| understand !" and "{ Just kidding Peter }" should have ";-)" or
| somethingelse to make it clear.
|
| BTW: Have a look at Kurt Wismers response of 30.08. to Nisko. It's
| exactly what I meant but much better explained. THX to Kurt.

Peter:

I didn't use an emoticon simply because I EXPLICITLY stated "{ Just kidding Peter }".

Lighten up -- OK ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: -Nisko- on
> This is what I would do. It won't cost you a thing. Go to start\run. Type
> in services.msc. Find the service called Automatic Updates. Change the
> setting to disabled. Aplly setting. Now stop the service. Reboot the
> computer and see if this fixes your problem. If it does, report back and
> I'll explain what you need to do to update Windows for services patches,
> etc.

OK, I did this and restarted. Runs OK now - but the proof that the problem
is fixed will be over time. What do I have to do to update Windows for
Service patches in the meantime? Thank you.........

From: -Nisko- on

> You're exactly right; the proof in the fix will be determined over time.
> To engage M/S Update, you'll need to go into services, double click the
> Automatic Updates service, set it to automatic, apply, then start the
> service. Now, you'll be able to manually update by going to the Windows
> Update page. After you've run update, reverse the process.
>
> In case you're wondering, I've applied this fix to numerous laptops with
> the problem you have experienced (including mine). The problem appears to
> be a result of a recent update to the Windows Update service, but
> manifests itself primarily on laptops manufactured by Dell and HP. Don't
> know why. I'm sure someone else is paid to know that.

Well, Automatic Updates is Disabled and I just rebooted - same problem. I
know some Service is trying to start over and over again and is using up my
CPU. I just can't figure out what it is. My only other recourse that I can
see is to set all my Automatic Services to Manual - one at a time - until
they are all Manual or I find the culprit.

From: -Nisko- on
> You reach a point where the possibility of success diminishes once you've
> picked all the low hanging fruit.

Very true - but I won't give up until my PC is no longer (reasonably)
usable. Thanks for the help............

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Free AV from AOL