From: -Nisko- on
I should have said that I'm learning a lot from ALL you guys!!!
Thanks........

From: -Nisko- on
Yesterday, I had to restart my PC many times before svchost did not hog my
resources. I used it til bedtime with no problem - left it running
overnight. When I looked this morning, explorer.exe was hogging my
resources - not svchost. Now, I just changes the properties in Plug and
Play, SSDP and UPnP and am going to reboot (10:52am EST).
"thecreator" <thecreator(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
If you are using Windows XP in default mode, where XP hides the Startup
Icons, this will restore the missing icons.

--
thecreator

From: Gabriele Neukam on
On this special day, -Nisko- wrote:

> The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so slow that
> it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders

Maybe you are suffering from the same bugged component as "dewey" -
namely the script scanner of McAfee. Turn it off and check if it is
better.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam(a)t-online.de

--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away, just so, at no cost.
From: -Nisko- on
Thanks - but I don't understand what you mean by 'dewey' and the script
scanner. Please tell me what to shut off and how to do it. I have been
running McAfee for several years now. This problem just appeared about a
week ago.

From: Gabriele Neukam on
On this special day, -Nisko- wrote:

> Thanks - but I don't understand what you mean by 'dewey' and the script
> scanner.

He posted in alt.comp.anti-virus (see the subject "McAfee v11 is
killing my computer") and reported a similar problem. He identified the
McAfee script scanner (against malicious scripts in web pages and
mails) as the culprit, at least in *his* case.

I thought you had been hit by the same bug.

"peacekeeper" sent a reply to this thread, but sadly, it was below a
signature separator, which will make it invisibale to some readers. I'll
quote it here.

(quote)Just an Update a major patch is coming through this week . I have
seen the fixes and they cover most issues with vs11 and firewall.
including some installing annoyances Tony (end of quote)

HTH

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam(a)t-online.de

--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away, just so, at no cost.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Free AV from AOL
Next: Run virus check from floppy