From: thecreator on
If you are using Windows XP in default mode, where XP hides the Startup Icons, this will restore the missing icons.

--
thecreator

From: -Nisko- on
Thank you......

"thecreator" <thecreator(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
Hi Nisko,

I was told to have the Startup Icon load or be displayed at Boot to
disabled both SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Device
Host. When I did that, on reboot SVCHOST.EXE CPU Usage was very high. I
could not do a thing. Once I changed them to Manual Starting at least, and
started them manually, the CPU Usage dropped.

Do this: Open Task Manager and double-click on CPU. Purpose to sort
Processes by CPU Usage and bring the Processes that are using the CPU to the
top. Next Open Services and scroll down until you locate and find the status
of them. Whether they are disabled or Manual or Automatic. You can only open
one at a time, but the next time it occurs with High CPU Usage, open Task
Manager and open Services. Start the process(es) and see what effect it has
on your computer and CPU Usage.

Remember, you aren't deleting anything, just changing how the Services
start. So it really can't hurt your computer.

From: -Nisko- on
Thanks...it's a little clearer now - but to understand it better, I'll have
to experiment like you suggested with the Command Prompt.

From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
Vanguard wrote:
> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>
>> -Nisko- wrote:
>>
>>> For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70%
>>> to 90% of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no
>>> avail. Once in a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most
>>> of the time, it does happen. The result is that my PC becomes
>>> extremely sluggish - so slow that it's unusable. I use McAfee
>>> anti-virus and a variety of spyware finders - and the Microsoft
>>> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these has found
>>> anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to date. Can
>>> anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......
>>

>> You can use Process Explorer and look at the SVchost.exe and see
>> what's running with it, a hidden process. Svchost.exe is the host
>> process, whether that by malware or a legit process. You can use PE
>> to see what processes SVChost.exe is hosting.
>>
>> http://www.vernalex.com/guides/malware/tools.shtml
>>
>> If svchost.exe is not running out of the Winnt/system32 directory,
>> then it's a Trojan.
>>
>> Go to the area about Process Explorer and learn how to use it to look
>> at running processes. It may not even be malware that's causing the
>> problem too and you can see all processes running with a host process
>> such as an (exe).
>>
>> Duane :)
>

> For Process Explorer and other system tools, tis probably best to go to
> http://www.sysinternals.com to get them directly from SysInternals
> instead of some 3rd party site.

For the most part I would agree, but for a novice with such software,
one doesn't know how to use it and sysinternals doesn't explain it at
all. This site shows very well how to use the solution, which I have
gotten tired of showing the how to use it. So, I'll continue to use this
site. Besides, MS brought out sysinternals so I don't know how long
systintranls is going to be around.

Duane :)
From: Vanguard on
> Vanguard wrote:
>> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>
>> For Process Explorer and other system tools, tis probably best to
>> go to http://www.sysinternals.com to get them directly from
>> SysInternals instead of some 3rd party site.

<snip>
> Besides, MS brought out sysinternals so I don't know how long
> systintranls is going to be around.

Oh oh. Better download all the SysInternal tools before Microsoft
vaporizes them. Microsoft bought WinInternals who sponsors
SysInternals so, yeah, the SysInternals stuff could just disappear
since Microsoft only needs to comply with existing contracts with
paying *customers* of WinInternals.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Free AV from AOL