From: -Nisko- on
Thanks...now I understand. The McAfee scrip isn't causing my problem.

From: -Nisko- on

"thecreator" <thecreator(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
Hi Nisko,

I was told to have the Startup Icon load or be displayed at Boot to
disabled both SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Device
Host. When I did that, on reboot SVCHOST.EXE CPU Usage was very high. I
could not do a thing. Once I changed them to Manual Starting at least, and
started them manually, the CPU Usage dropped.

Do this: Open Task Manager and double-click on CPU. Purpose to sort
Processes by CPU Usage and bring the Processes that are using the CPU to the
top. Next Open Services and scroll down until you locate and find the status
of them. Whether they are disabled or Manual or Automatic. You can only open
one at a time, but the next time it occurs with High CPU Usage, open Task
Manager and open Services. Start the process(es) and see what effect it has
on your computer and CPU Usage.

Remember, you aren't deleting anything, just changing how the Services
start. So it really can't hurt your computer.

--
thecreator

"-Nisko-" <rmo555(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi! I've been researching this issue and I found that it's not new.
> However, I haven't found the cause and it seems some things work for some
> people - and some don't. Is your fix a sure thing? What causes this
> problem? Thanks......
>

> "thecreator" <thecreator(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi Nisko,
>
> Plug and Play Set to Manual
> SSDP Discovery Service Set to Manual
> Universal Plug and Play Device Host Set to Automatic
>
> Go into Services and changes the above Services. Reboot.
>

> --
> thecreator
>

> "-Nisko-" <rmo555(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70% to
>> 90%
>> of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no avail. Once
>> in
>> a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most of the time, it does
>> happen. The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so slow
>> that
>> it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of spyware
>> finders -
>> and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. None of these
>> has found anything unusual going on. All my signatures are up to date.
>> Can
>> anyone help me rid my PC of this issue? Thanks.......

OK, I determined the processes associated with the svchost that was using up
my resources (used Process Explorer). Opened the Task Manager to monitor
CPU usage. Opened Services and, one by one, disabled them to see the result
on CPU usage. No change. I even stopped a couple of the processes - but I
wasn't allowed to start them until I rebooted. Can't figure this one out.
Did I do the procedure correctly?

From: -Nisko- on

"optikl" <optikl(a)ioptikl.net> wrote in message
> -Nisko- wrote:
>> For the past week or so, one instance of svchost has been hogging 70% to
>> 90% of my CPU. I have tried many ways to find the culprit to no avail.
>> Once in a while, when I boot, it doesn't happen - but, most of the time,
>> it does happen. The result is that my PC becomes extremely sluggish - so
>> slow that it's unusable. I use McAfee anti-virus and a variety of
>> spyware finders - and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
>> Tool. None of these has found anything unusual going on. All my
>> signatures are up to date. Can anyone help me rid my PC of this issue?
>> Thanks.......
> Is this a laptop?

Yes. Dell Latitude.

From: Peter Seiler on
-Nisko- - 29.08.2006 03:48 :

> Thank you......

there is absolutely no need for always fullquoting (~75 fullquoting line
snipped) only saying such short answers.

Another misbehavior is your quoting of the part after the sig delimiter
of your preposter (because of your topposting?).

The same arguments to "the creator". Please learn a better usenet
behavior. THX.

THX in advance for your kind understanding.

--

by(e) PS

spam will be killed
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET>

| You know, I have mentioned Process Explorer to numerous posters in
| various NG(s). It's only been twice in all that time that someone took
| PE and was able to spot something. Those two were skilled professionals
| that could tack down the culprit. One was a Web admin that used PE to
| find malware, that everything she used couldn't find it. The other one
| was a person who used PE to track down something MS had done to send
| svchost.exe out of control.
|
| Now, I am going back to watching Amreican Chopper. Paul Sr. and Jr. are
| in another heated argument and are ready to kill each other on who has
| control of the shop. ;-)
|
| Duane :)

I was given as notebook with a nasty non-viral malware infection.

A DLL was hooked into Winlogon Notify and the key was protected by the malware. Deleting
the key was useless as the DLL was able to recreate its self with a new name and the kry was
altered to the new DLL upon reboot.

ProcessExplorer was able to find the DLL that was running and it allowed me to kill that DLL
process which then allowed me to delete the Winlogon Notify key and to clean up the
notebook.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm