From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "-Nisko-" <rmo555(a)cox.net>
>
> | I used Process Explorer - and svchost is only in the system32 folder. BTW,
> | what does %windir% mean? In other words, how do I interpret something
> | inside % marks? Thanks.....
> |

> Text inside the %% are names of environmental variables.
>
> For example;
> %windir%
> will point to c:\windows or c:\winnt (or other location) as the base Win32 folder
> depending upon thye OS and what was chosen
>
> %tmp% and %TEMP%
> Point to the TEMPorary folder
>
> Open a Command Prompt and type; set and then hist the enter key.
> You will see a list of commonly displayed environmental variables.
>
> They can be used within a Command Prompt, at; Start --> Run , within BAT and CMD files,
> within LNK files, etc.
>
> The important concept is that SVCHOST.EXE was the legitimate OS version and thus it in
> itself is not malware and if SVCHOST.EXE is bringing the CPU utilization up aroun 99% then
> one of the services it is serving up has a problem.
>
> Using ProcessExplorer you will see what each running version of SVCHOST.EXE is serving up.

You know, I have mentioned Process Explorer to numerous posters in
various NG(s). It's only been twice in all that time that someone took
PE and was able to spot something. Those two were skilled professionals
that could tack down the culprit. One was a Web admin that used PE to
find malware, that everything she used couldn't find it. The other one
was a person who used PE to track down something MS had done to send
svchost.exe out of control.

Now, I am going back to watching Amreican Chopper. Paul Sr. and Jr. are
in another heated argument and are ready to kill each other on who has
control of the shop. ;-)

Duane :)
From: Duane Arnold "Do forget about on
Vanguard wrote:
> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>>> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>>
>>> For Process Explorer and other system tools, tis probably best to go
>>> to http://www.sysinternals.com to get them directly from SysInternals
>>> instead of some 3rd party site.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> Besides, MS brought out sysinternals so I don't know how long
>> systintranls is going to be around.
>

> Oh oh. Better download all the SysInternal tools before Microsoft
> vaporizes them. Microsoft bought WinInternals who sponsors SysInternals
> so, yeah, the SysInternals stuff could just disappear since Microsoft
> only needs to comply with existing contracts with paying *customers* of
> WinInternals.

It was something about MS putting one or two guys that developed the
tools on MS's payroll. I am sure they are getting paid very well with
nice benefits and other things in the pot. They would have been fools
not to take the offer.

You know the old saying. $$$$ talk and BS walks. ;-)

Duane :)
From: -Nisko- on
Hi and thanks. However, which is the site you are referring to?

From: -Nisko- on
I don't know what you mean by default mode - or missing the startup icons.
Please explain. I'm learning something from your help. Thanks.......

"thecreator" <thecreator(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
If you are using Windows XP in default mode, where XP hides the Startup
Icons, this will restore the missing icons.

--
thecreator

From: -Nisko- on
I'm using PE and have found that svchost.exe is only in my system32 folder.
Also, all the processes associated with the out of control svchost are
legitimate.

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "-Nisko-" <rmo555(a)cox.net>
>>
>> | I used Process Explorer - and svchost is only in the system32 folder.
>> BTW,
>> | what does %windir% mean? In other words, how do I interpret something
>> | inside % marks? Thanks.....
>> |

>> Text inside the %% are names of environmental variables.
>>
>> For example;
>> %windir%
>> will point to c:\windows or c:\winnt (or other location) as the base
>> Win32 folder
>> depending upon thye OS and what was chosen
>>
>> %tmp% and %TEMP%
>> Point to the TEMPorary folder
>>
>> Open a Command Prompt and type; set and then hist the enter key.
>> You will see a list of commonly displayed environmental variables.
>>
>> They can be used within a Command Prompt, at; Start --> Run , within BAT
>> and CMD files,
>> within LNK files, etc.
>>
>> The important concept is that SVCHOST.EXE was the legitimate OS version
>> and thus it in
>> itself is not malware and if SVCHOST.EXE is bringing the CPU utilization
>> up aroun 99% then
>> one of the services it is serving up has a problem.
>>
>> Using ProcessExplorer you will see what each running version of
>> SVCHOST.EXE is serving up.
>>

> You know, I have mentioned Process Explorer to numerous posters in various
> NG(s). It's only been twice in all that time that someone took PE and was
> able to spot something. Those two were skilled professionals that could
> tack down the culprit. One was a Web admin that used PE to find malware,
> that everything she used couldn't find it. The other one was a person who
> used PE to track down something MS had done to send svchost.exe out of
> control.
>
> Now, I am going back to watching Amreican Chopper. Paul Sr. and Jr. are in
> another heated argument and are ready to kill each other on who has
> control of the shop. ;-)
>
> Duane :)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12