From: Craig Markwardt on

sean <jaymoseley(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> On 11 Jun, 17:47, Craig Markwardt
> <craigm...(a)REMOVEcow.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > sean <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> Here I use substantiated observations. from MMX and sagnac. Not
> made up imaginary observations as the others do.
> > > If its compatible with SR then why does SR predict that light cannot
> > > be constant in a non inertial frame. Yet the MMx, being in a non
> > > inertial frame observes light being constant in all directions?
> >
> > Where does the theory of special relativity "predict" that light
> > cannot be "constant" in a non-inertial frame? Indeed, it is a
> > postulate of SR that the speed of light *is* constant, the same
> > constant c, in all inertial frames.
> I never said SR didnt predict it to be c in all inertial frames.
> I said `non inertial frames`.

Since the theory of special relativity doesn't make any predictions
about non-inertial frames, your claim is erroneous, and thus the
conclusions you draw from it are irrelevant.

CM
From: sean on
On 15 Jun, 16:11, Craig Markwardt
<craigm...(a)REMOVEcow.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
> sean <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> > On 11 Jun, 17:47, Craig Markwardt
> > <craigm...(a)REMOVEcow.physics.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > > sean <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> > Here I use substantiated observations. from MMX and sagnac. Not
> > made up imaginary observations as the others do.
>
> > > Where does the theory of special relativity "predict" that light
> > > cannot be "constant" in a non-inertial frame? Indeed, it is a
> > > postulate of SR that the speed of light *is* constant, the same
> > > constant c, in all inertial frames.
> > I never said SR didnt predict it to be c in all inertial frames.
> > I said `non inertial frames`.
>
> Since the theory of special relativity doesn't make any predictions
> about non-inertial frames, your claim is erroneous, and thus the
> conclusions you draw from it are irrelevant.
Maybe "the theory" doesnt. But its proponents do. At wiki and Ned
wright pages they clearly make the claim that light does not travel
at c in the non inertial frame in the SR model. But Im glad you seem
to agree with me that Ned Wright and Wiki got it wrong. As we both
know light can and does travel at c always in the non inertial frame
as long as thats also the source frame. Sagnac and MM show us this.And
in fact as sagnac and MM show us,.. light does not neccesarily travel
at c in the inertial frame. Unless that also is the source frame. So
in fact SR may not officially make predictions about what light does
in a non inertial frame...but its prediction that it always travels at
c in the inertial frame is not consistent with observation.
Sean
www.gammarayburst.com
For an correct explanation of how sagnac and MMx can be only explained
by classical and not SR see the sagnac simulations at...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jaymoseleygrb

From: sean on
On 15 Jun, 14:45, "Jeckyl" <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> "sean" <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

For a correct description of how sagnac can be explained by classical
theory see...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jaymoseleygrb

> > On 13 Jun, 00:03, "Jeckyl" <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> "sean" <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For a correct interpretation of the MMx and Sagnac experiments see..
> >http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jaymoseleygrb

> >> We are limited in our experimental apparatus .. it is impractical (if not
> >> impossible) to get the apparatus into a frame of reference that is
> >> perfectly
> >> free of all gravitational potential so the SR can be tested directly.
>
> >> But a laboratory is close enough for the experiment. GR tells us the
> >> local
> >> speed of light will be c anyway, and for the duration of the experiment
> >> any
> >> change in velocity of the apparatus is negligible.
>
> >> The problem is not fudging correct data .. its interpreting an imperfect
> >> experiment within allowed margins of error. Science does that all the
> >> time
> >> .. and MM supports SR (which says there should be a null results and the
> >> results are null within the margin of error of the experiment).- Hide
> >> quoted text -

> > SR predicts the null result. But how does it predict it? IT does so by
> > assuming
> > that the experiment does not rotate during observation or as you try
> > to argue.
> > You say... `that this rotation is not measureable during
> > observation`.
>
> I don't recall saying that.
You said `negligible`.
> But it is a relatively small effect .. the margins for error take that into
> accont
Its `big` enough to effect a fringe shift in sagnac. THerefore it must
be big
enough to effect a fringe shift in MMx . But it isnt measured in MMx.
Why?
Because in fact light is travelling at c in both the sagnac source
frame
and the MMx source frame. And this is what classical theory predicts.
Which is why classical is more succesful than SR. Classical predicts
both Sagnac and MMx whereas SR predicts only one or the other.
For instance if SR predicts that light speed difference on the two
paths are below measurement thresholds in MMx, then it must also then
predict that light speed differences or path differences are not
detectable
in a 24 hour rotating source in a ring gyro.
But this isnt whats observed. In fact a 24 hour cycle rotating source
in a
ring gyro is detectable . Even though SR just predicted its not
detectable.
So SR cannot predict results for one experiment without being unable
predict the correct results for the other.
You see the big scam about SR is that it predicts two contradictory
results
for light in non inertial frames. In sagnac it predicts that the light
travels
at variable speeds in the non inertial rotating source frame and that
even
over 24 hour cycles this is a big enough difference to effect a
measureable
fringe shift.
But when it comes to MMX the opposite is true for SR. It says a
rotating source with a 24 hour cycle does not effect a measureable
fringe
shift. You cant have it both ways.
> [snip whole lots of waffle about measuring rotation of the earth that really
> doesn't make a difference]
>
> SR predicts what happens in an ideal situation .. the laboratory is not
> ideal. However it is a good enough approximation and any discrepancies can
> be taken into account in the error bounds.
Wrong. In the lab situation in sagnac a 24 hour rotation of a light
source
is detectable.Why then should the very same 24 hour hour rotation of
the
source in MMx not be detectable? Both sources are in a lab and both
rotate
once every 24 hours. Therefore both should either give no detection
or both give a detection.

> MM in no way invalidates or contradicts SR .. the 'null' result is
> completely consistent with SR.- Hide quoted text -
Not if you consider that SR predicts that light should be variable in
the
MMx source frame. And it is not observed to be variable. Therefore
SR predictions are not consistent with MMX observations
Sean
www.gammarayburst.com

From: Don Stockbauer on
On Jun 16, 5:48 am, sean <jaymose...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > be taken into account in the error bounds.
>
> Wrong. In the lab situation in sagnac a 24 hour rotation of a light
> source
> is detectable.Why then should the very same 24 hour hour rotation of
> the
> source in MMx not be detectable? Both sources are in a lab and both
> rotate
> once every 24 hours. Therefore both should either give no detection
> or both give a detection.
>
> > MM in no way invalidates or contradicts SR .. the 'null' result is
> > completely consistent with SR.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Not if you consider that SR predicts that light should be variable in
> the
> MMx source frame. And it is not observed to be variable. Therefore
> SR predictions are not consistent with MMX observations

Boy. That was sure complicated.

From: sean on
On 16 Jun, 11:57, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Wrong. In the lab situation in sagnac a 24 hour rotation of a light
> > source
> > is detectable.Why then should the very same 24 hour hour rotation of
> > the
> > source in MMx not be detectable? Both sources are in a lab and both
> > rotate
> > once every 24 hours. Therefore both should either give no detection
> > or both give a detection.
>
> > > MM in no way invalidates or contradicts SR .. the 'null' result is
> > > completely consistent with SR.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > Not if you consider that SR predicts that light should be variable in
> > the
> > MMx source frame. And it is not observed to be variable. Therefore
> > SR predictions are not consistent with MMX observations
> > Seanwww.gammarayburst.com
>
> Boy. That was sure complicated.- Hide quoted text -

Well I put it more simply earlier but here it is again...
SR predicts that light from a source that is rotating must travel at
variable speeds relative to the source . But in the MMx which is an
experiment where light from a rotating source travels and returns
down two paths, the light is observed to be travelling at the same
speed on both paths contrary to what SR predicts.

But what Jeckyl then was trying to argue was that the difference in
speed
on these two paths in MMx was too small too measure because the earths
rotation was too slow too measure .
And to that point I responded that if the earths rotation is too
slow to measure then why is it that we can measure its rotation using
fringe shifts in ring gyros?
In other words Jeckyls and relativistas intention that its too slow
to measure is not backed up by observation.

You can see this illustrated at..
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jaymoseleygrb

Sean

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: What is the Aether?
Next: Debunking Nimtz