From: Tom Roberts on
sean wrote:
> SR predicts the null result. But how does it predict it? IT does so by
> assuming
> that the experiment does not rotate during observation

That's only an elementary application of SR to the experiment. An
accurate application of SR can account for the various rotations, and
show that they ALL affect the fringe shift my much less than the
resolution of the instrument. It's just that elementary textbooks do not
clutter up the analysis with unnecessary details.

> You say... `that this rotation is not measureable during
> observation`.
> But this is a false assumption . Because scientific instruments that
> you
> cannot deny as being accurate( ring gyros) DO INDEED measure a
> rotation during the course of the MM experiment.

Except the MMX interferometer is NOT a ring gyro. Indeed, it can be
considered to be one, with a zero enclosed area, and so one predicts the
MMX interferometer is insensitive to rotation. See above.

> And scientifically
> this has to mean that the rotation of earth does effect the speed of
> light during any known observation like MMx.

You are excessively naive. Yes the lab is rotating, yes SOME instruments
can discern that rotation (locally), but MOST experiments cannot, and
the MMX is in this latter set.

> Yet SR bases its predictions on the assumption that the rotation
> of the earth is NOT measureable during the course of the experiment.

No. repeating a mistake does not make it right. A competent application
of SR to the MMX experiment shows that the rotation is not observable BY
THAT APPARATUS, and thus the rotation can indeed be neglected without
significantly affecting the results.

> Seeing as ring gyros contradict this asssumption,

I repeat: THAT'S IRRELEVANT, as the MMX considered as a ring gyro has
zero enclosed area, and is thus insensitive to rotation.

> Ring gyros can measure this rotation.
> You only pretend its neglible to back up a theory (SR) that cant
> explain both sagnac and MMx

No. One applies SR to the MMX measurement and COMPUTES that the rotation
is negligible (i.e. its effect is much smaller than the resolution of
the instrument).

Much of modern experimental physics is involved with the error and
resolution analysis of the instruments. Until your learn and understand
this, you will remain confused. <shrug>

Tom Roberts
From: Pentcho Valev on
Tom Roberts wrote:
> sean wrote:
> > SR predicts the null result. But how does it predict it? IT does so by
> > assuming
> > that the experiment does not rotate during observation
>
> That's only an elementary application of SR to the experiment. An
> accurate application of SR can account for the various rotations, and
> show that they ALL affect the fringe shift my much less than the
> resolution of the instrument. It's just that elementary textbooks do not
> clutter up the analysis with unnecessary details.
>

> > You say... `that this rotation is not measureable during
> > observation`.
> > But this is a false assumption . Because scientific instruments that
> > you
> > cannot deny as being accurate( ring gyros) DO INDEED measure a
> > rotation during the course of the MM experiment.
>
> Except the MMX interferometer is NOT a ring gyro. Indeed, it can be
> considered to be one, with a zero enclosed area, and so one predicts the
> MMX interferometer is insensitive to rotation. See above.
>

> > And scientifically
> > this has to mean that the rotation of earth does effect the speed of
> > light during any known observation like MMx.
>
> You are excessively naive. Yes the lab is rotating, yes SOME instruments
> can discern that rotation (locally), but MOST experiments cannot, and
> the MMX is in this latter set.
>

> > Yet SR bases its predictions on the assumption that the rotation
> > of the earth is NOT measureable during the course of the experiment.
>
> No. repeating a mistake does not make it right. A competent application
> of SR to the MMX experiment.....

Roberts Roberts see how your brother hypnotist competently applies THE
EMISSION THEORY to the Michelson-Morley experiment:

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001743/02/Norton.pdf John
Norton: "Einstein regarded the Michelson-Morley experiment as evidence
for the principle of relativity, whereas later writers almost
universally use it as support for the light postulate of special
relativity......THE MICHELSON-MORLEY EXPERIMENT IS FULLY COMPATIBLE
WITH AN EMISSION THEORY OF LIGHT THAT CONTRADICTS THE LIGHT
POSTULATE."

So Roberts Roberts does the "competent application of SR to the MMX
experiment" involve the introduction of the light postulate and the
idiocies (time dilation, length contraction etc.) based on it? But you
do not like the light postulate do you Roberts Roberts:

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/29c32844f0766cea?
Tom Roberts: "While the constancy of the speed of light was important
in the historical development of SR, I agree it has no logical place
as a postulate of SR. Einstein's second postulate can be replaced by
any of a number of suitable postulates, of which I like this one best:
There is a finite upper bound on the speed of propagation of
information."

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/8034dc146100e32c?
Tom Roberts: "If it is ultimately discovered that the photon has a
nonzero mass (i.e. light in vacuum does not travel at the invariant
speed of the Lorentz transform), SR would be unaffected but both
Maxwell's equations and QED would be refuted (or rather, their domains
of applicability would be reduced)."

Pentcho Valev

From: Jeckyl on
"Pentcho Valev" <pvalev(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Roberts Roberts see how your brother hypnotist competently applies THE
> EMISSION THEORY to the Michelson-Morley experiment:

Irrelevant .. emmisions theory only manages to explain a subset of what SR
predicts (and is observed) .. it not a good alternative.

[snip Pentcho's weird obsession with Tom, who he thinks is called Robert]

From: Pentcho Valev on

Jeckyl wrote:
> "Pentcho Valev" <pvalev(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Roberts Roberts see how your brother hypnotist competently applies THE
> > EMISSION THEORY to the Michelson-Morley experiment:
>
> Irrelevant .. emmisions theory only manages to explain a subset of what SR
> predicts (and is observed).

Is that what your masters teach you? They may be joking. For instance,
when Master Tom Roberts says:

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/8034dc146100e32c?
Tom Roberts: "If it is ultimately discovered that the photon has a
nonzero mass (i.e. light in vacuum does not travel at the invariant
speed of the Lorentz transform), SR would be unaffected but both
Maxwell's equations and QED would be refuted (or rather, their domains
of applicability would be reduced)."

he is certainly joking. Master Tom Roberts is not so silly and could
not say such things seriously. Do you agree?

Pentcho Valev

From: Jeckyl on

> Jeckyl wrote:
>> "Pentcho Valev" <pvalev(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Roberts Roberts see how your brother hypnotist competently applies THE
>> > EMISSION THEORY to the Michelson-Morley experiment:
>>
>> Irrelevant .. emmisions theory only manages to explain a subset of what
>> SR
>> predicts (and is observed).
>
> Is that what your masters teach you? They may be joking.
[snip completely irrelvant rely]

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: What is the Aether?
Next: Debunking Nimtz