From: Mark Hobley on
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:
> The point is: most graphics cards manufacturers don't want to publish
> the tricks, built into their cards, by offering open-source drivers.

This doesn't make any sense. Computers are supposed to be programmable.
If we can't program the card, then it's a useless piece of kit IMHO.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: John Hasler on
Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> The point is: most graphics cards manufacturers don't want to publish
> the tricks, built into their cards, by offering open-source drivers.

Actually it is often that they can't publish them, having licensed some
from others under astonishingly restrictive terms.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jan 22, 10:22 pm, John Hasler <jhas...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> > The point is: most graphics cards manufacturers don't want to publish
> > the tricks, built into their cards, by offering open-source drivers.
>
> Actually it is often that they can't publish them, having licensed some
> from others under astonishingly restrictive terms.

And they don't want anyone but their own developers to be able to
program them, or duplicate their feature sets for their own cards.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:
>> The point is: most graphics cards manufacturers don't want to publish
>> the tricks, built into their cards, by offering open-source drivers.
>
> This doesn't make any sense. Computers are supposed to be programmable.

Computers WERE suppose dto be prgrammable.

Today, they are PeeCees..consumer not very durables.

> If we can't program the card, then it's a useless piece of kit IMHO.

try telling that to anyone who is using a car with computerised fuel
injection..;-)

From: Trevor Hemsley on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:45:25 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Nico Kadel-Garcia
<nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I've given specifics on ATI cards
> that work well, namely the 9200 series of cards, which are admittedly
> somewhat out of date. (

9200's will be AGP. I used to use those when I had an AGP slot. Now I have an
PCiE X300SE which works most of the time but it's almost impossible to use
Google Earth with it - if you use the open source drivers then it's either
glacially slow to render (~5 minutes to get the initial screen loaded) or, if
you can find the right incantation to chant to make it work in direct rendering
mode then it randomly locks up X completely after a few minutes use. The ATI
drivers were just rubbish last time I tried them though it has been a long time
since I last tried (end of 2008) - but when I did then applications would
randomly just disappear and terminate when the ATI drivers felt like picking on
them!

From what I remember of NVidia cards, it's very tricky if not impossible to get
the proprietary drivers to work with a Xen kernel.

I don't want a card to play games with, the most strenuous thing I do with my
video system is try to use Google Earth to see far flung parts of the world
where my relatives live. If I could fix my X300SE so that it didn't lock up all
the time or draw pixel by visible pixel then I' d be happy. Failing that then I
too would love to know of a decent, preferably cheap, PCiE video card that will
work nicely in dri mode.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com