From: Aragorn on
On Saturday 23 January 2010 17:31 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Trevor Hemsley wrote...

> From what I remember of NVidia cards, it's very tricky if not
> impossible to get the proprietary drivers to work with a Xen kernel.

I am about to find out about that myself one of these days as I am
setting up a Xen system. However, according to the documentation and
some forum posts that I've found via Google, it should not be quite
such a problem. One only has to make sure that one exports the
variable "IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=1" (or any other value than "0") prior to
building the part of the driver that comes as source code and that
interfaces with the kernel. In addition, the availability of
virtualization extensions in hardware - in the form of an IOMMU - have
greatly simplified things in that area.

The only real scenario that I'm aware of in which case it would not work
is if you try to run the nVidia driver in a Xen domU without that this
domU has direct access to the video hardware. If it does have direct
access to the video hardware - i.e. the video adapter is hidden from
dom0 or "PCI-hot-unplugged" - then it's just as if you were running the
nVidia driver in dom0, and that works rather well these days.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Bit Twister may or may not have written...

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:15:24 +0100, David Brown wrote:

>> I have /heard/ that with a modern Nvidia card, the open source drivers
>> are still very limited, while the binary drivers are very good. On the
>> other hand, for modern ATI cards, both the open source drivers and the
>> binary drivers are sort of middle-of-the-road. Thus for open source
>> only, ATI is the best choice - when you are willing to use binary
>> drivers, Nvidia comes out best.

It should be possible to try out nouveau with Debian testing/unstable. (I
can't; no nVidia graphics hardware.)

> Heheh, I am thinking about not buying ATI ever again.
> RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series] (on board)
> Module: ATI Radeon 9500 - X850
> all I could get was somewhere below 60 FPS using teapot.

Sounds like a broken installation which is falling back on software
rendering. (My X300 copes very nicely with reasonably complex 3D rendering
using the open-source drivers.)

> Went an bought a RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] Module: Card:ATI Radeon HD 2000 and
> later (radeon/fglrx) teapot gave me 142 FPS on mandriva 2010.0.

You need xf86-video-ati git, recent mesa (from git?) and kernel for that. Or
you can use fglrx.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

Two most common elements in the universe: Hydrogen & Stupidity.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Mark Hobley may or may not have written...

[snip]
> Stick with open source compatible cards would be my suggestion here ....

> Choose Intel or ATI

That would be just ATI, then, unless you're counting motherboards as graphics
cards... ;-)

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + Vermin Media user? http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000646.html

You will have a long and unpleasant discussion with your supervisor.
From: Hans-Peter Diettrich on
Trevor Hemsley schrieb:

> From what I remember of NVidia cards, it's very tricky if not impossible to get
> the proprietary drivers to work with a Xen kernel.

The one-click installation on [open]SuSE works perfectly for me, even on
an XEN kernel. Other kernels may have more problems, of course.

DoDi
From: David Brown on
Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Bit Twister may or may not have written...
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:15:24 +0100, David Brown wrote:
>
>>> I have /heard/ that with a modern Nvidia card, the open source drivers
>>> are still very limited, while the binary drivers are very good. On the
>>> other hand, for modern ATI cards, both the open source drivers and the
>>> binary drivers are sort of middle-of-the-road. Thus for open source
>>> only, ATI is the best choice - when you are willing to use binary
>>> drivers, Nvidia comes out best.
>
> It should be possible to try out nouveau with Debian testing/unstable. (I
> can't; no nVidia graphics hardware.)

I'm hoping to find a reasonable card /before/ buying one and trying it
out! However, whatever I get I will be testing with the latest and
greatest open source drivers as well as the proprietary drivers - I'll
only use the binary drivers if they really make a difference.