From: Mark Hobley on
The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I managed to get my Intel onboard 'cheap as chips'set to work reasonably
> well using the latest kernels. 2.6.26 didn't cut it, 2.6.30 did.

You need to test the 3d really. Try playing Enemy Territory, and some GL
based games.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Mark Hobley on
David Brown <david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no> wrote:

> How good are the ATI open source and closed source drivers?

On the older ATI cards (9200), the open source 3d works just fine, as do the
Intel chipsets with the open source driver. You can play 3d games, just fine.
(Just like you can in Microsoft Windows).

I haven't done any testing with closed source drivers, because this is outside
of my area of interest. (I am a programmer, so I must have open source drivers
or appropriate technical specifications to produce them.)

> What's the situation with ATI? How does performance compare between
> Windows, Linux with the open source drivers, and Linux with ATI's closed
> source drivers?

I have only tested the older cards, though I think a guy on the internet is
testing the newer R300 cards, but when I checked last year, he reported some
problems with these so the 9200 was still the best card for open source.

You could buy a motherboard with onboard Intel graphics. These work well with
open source drivers.

Mark.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I managed to get my Intel onboard 'cheap as chips'set to work reasonably
>> well using the latest kernels. 2.6.26 didn't cut it, 2.6.30 did.
>
> You need to test the 3d really. Try playing Enemy Territory, and some GL
> based games.

Sheesh dude, no I dont. I've got far too much to do.

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that The Natural Philosopher may or may not have written...

> David Brown wrote:
>> Bit Twister wrote:
[snip]
>>> Another place to look, http://www.free3d.org/
>> Unless that site is biased, it looks like ATI is the best choice when
>> using only open source drivers - the best Nvidia scores were alongside
>> cheap Intel integrated devices.

It looks outdated to me.

> I managed to get my Intel onboard 'cheap as chips'set to work reasonably
> well using the latest kernels. 2.6.26 didn't cut it, 2.6.30 did.

I found that Mesa 7.2 or newer is required for 3D, or at least a few specific
3D operations. Otherwise, fine.

My Radeon X300 needs to have Mesa configured with low-impact fallbacks
switched off (enable the "disableā€¦" option using driconf); if you don't do
this, anti-aliased line drawing is enabled and that's *slow* (done using
software rendering, I shouldn't wonder).

If you're using KMS on Intel hw and you're using 2.6.32, boot with
i915.powersave=0 to avoid possible display problems after suspend.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

All great discoveries are made by accident.