From: news.tiscali on

I would probably understand more if he'd written
> in Italian.

yes , there was a misunderstanding.

Regards

From: Jon Solberg on
On 2009-10-07, Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>> Jon writes:
>>
>>> Getting us to play 'twenty questions'?
>>
>> He's just a non-native writer of English who is trying to minimize the
>> amount of English he has to write (he's doing better than I would in
>> Italian). Unfortunately his efforts are having the opposite effect. He
>> needs to bite the bullet and compose a complete explanation of what he
>> is actually trying to accomplish.
>
> [...] When someone asks a question that seems wrong, simply
> answering their question probably will not help them solve their
> problem. It is time to ask them what they are trying to accomplish
> so a different and better approach can be taken.

(Warning: longish ideas about posting etiquette and good posting
practices follows)

Indeed. However, just answering the question can be a time saver
sometimes. Sometimes, it has the effect of stopping any further
questioning. ;-)

For actually solving the problem, it's not so great.

The problem is when someone doesn't know what they wish to accomplish
in the first place. IMHO, it's not at all uncommon and happens to me
all the time at work (which, at the moment, happens to be in the quite
technical heavy field of telecommunications).

However, I'm usually the one asking all the questions to the
technicians since I do all the squishy-soft documentation
line-of-work. With a background in cognitive sciences, MDI and
computational linguistics I often tend to end up between users and
engineers (even though my current card says 'Information Engineer -
Software'; whatever that means). I still try to formulate a clear
question before bugging them. Sometimes (more often than you may
think) I get great responses, sometimes I don't. I get paid for it, so
I'm quite content.

On the USENET it's another thing: the ones answering the questions do
so for various reasons, they may find it fun, get a kick of writing a
witty remark, or they may simple be generous knowing people willing to
help someone in trouble.

However, for the posters it is important to remember that help is
provided for _free_. As a poster you can't demand _anything_, and many
will simply ignore you if you don't manage to say what you want.

In other words (yes, this has been said many times before):

1. Formulate your question or problem.
1. Try to solve the problem yourself.
2. Try again.
3. Read up on the problem, you're most likely not the only one having it.
4. Try again.
5. Read some more.
6. Try again.
7. If everything else fails: ask. In a clear and easy-to understand
fashion. Heck, you may even learn something.

It's as simple (and hard) as that.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).
From: John Hasler on
Jon Solberg writes:
> The problem is when someone doesn't know what they wish to accomplish
> in the first place.

The other problem is when someone does know what they wish to accomplish
and knows just how to accomplish it except for a few details, but some
of what they know is wrong.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Oct 7, 11:57 am, "news.tiscali" <n...(a)tiscali.it.nospam> wrote:
> I would probably understand more if he'd written
>
> > in Italian.
>
> yes , there was a misunderstanding.
>
> Regards

So, which wsa the answer you actually wanted or needed? Curious minds
want to know!
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Oct 7, 8:14 am, John Hasler <jhas...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia writes:
> > news, I think you want to *incorporate* a graphical component into
> > your Ubuntu CD images, and have it installed automatically. Is this
> > correct?
>
> If so he wants this or something similar:
>
> Package: live-magic
> Section: misc
> Installed-Size: 344
> Maintainer: Debian Live <debian-l...(a)lists.debian.org>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 1.7
> Depends: python (>= 2.4), python-support (>= 0.90.0), live-helper (>= 1.0.5), python-glade2 (>= 2.10), python-gtk2, python-vte, gksu, xdg-utils
> Recommends: cdebootstrap
> Filename: pool/main/l/live-magic/live-magic_1.7_all.deb
> Size: 62724
> MD5sum: 1475d2e89fd94f438e7f81b53bffa57c
> SHA1: 01589eaa95b3f02da76911da5c69286913931f0e
> SHA256: 0f1b918beddaffcbe573c0d36b4c6360fe17eab97c3918765f9b7ff1eb3ef060
>  Live-helper is a collection of programs that can be used to build Debian Live
>  system images. The philosophy behind live-helper is to provide a collection of
>  small, simple, and easily understood tools that can be used in your own program
>  to automate building of a Live system.
>  .
>  This package contains the GUI frontend to live-helper, offering a subset of the
>  features in an easy-to-use user interface.
> Homepage:http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
> Tag: implemented-in::python, interface::x11, role::program, x11::application

***COOL***. Man, I wish I'd had something like that last year when I
had some RedHat installation images issues. Even now, building a
Fedora installer *without* all the bluetooth and game material would
save a lot of space on the installation media.