From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.setup, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

> Regards writes:
>
>> I asked if can make incorporate a Gui, aka window manager,
>> webmin!? in Ubuntu iso.
>
> A Gui, a window manager, and the Webmin remote administration
> package are three different things.

Huh? A GUI is composed, visibly, of a window manager and a
mouse (etc.).

You must be referring to a GDE, which is a massive suite
of graphical applications that runs _in_ a GUI.

Why are you misinforming the newbie here? We all know that you
are perfectly aware of the differences between these things:

#From: John Hasler <john(a)dhh.gt.org>
#Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
#Subject: Re: KDE Commentary
#Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:52:31 -0500
#
#Sidney Lambe wrote:
#> Slackers don't have to use KDE or Gnome or any other GDE.
#
#nb writes:
#> Try and view graphics from the command line, dolt.
#
#I run X with no "desktop environment". Works fine.
#--
#John Hasler
#john(a)dhh.gt.org
#Dancing Horse Hill
#Elmwood, WI USA

You are using a GUI and it has to include a window manager. So
there's no doubt that you know what's going on here.

Have your corporate masters, the ones feeding the GDE money
to Debian, come down on you?

Yes, John, I know that you read my articles.

Sid

OT: Who is the mental retard with a hundred
names who follows me around? Just that.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Doug Freyburger wrote:
><snip brilliant story>
>
> Moral of the story - When someone asks a question that seems wrong,
> simply answering their question probably will not help them solve their
> problem. It is time to ask them what they are trying to accomplish so a
> different and better approach can be taken.

Or as the Irish are wont to say

"If I was trying to get to there, sure I wouldn't be starting from here,
and all, begorrah!"
From: Hans-Peter Diettrich on
news.tiscali schrieb:

> How do you install a Gui, small and fast, with Ubuntu server?

I wonder why you ever want to have a GUI on an *server*?
Who should see and use it?

DoDi
From: Grant on
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:18:20 +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:

>news.tiscali schrieb:
>
>> How do you install a Gui, small and fast, with Ubuntu server?
>
>I wonder why you ever want to have a GUI on an *server*?
>Who should see and use it?

I'm thinking of doing that just so I can run firefox to talk sense
to the ADSL modem, as it uses html frames :(

Unless there's some way to teach linux to let another box look at
the modem IP:80 on a eth0:1 dev or something?

I don't use *ubuntu. Slackware would be a better server install
anyway :) Optional GUI.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Grant wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:18:20 +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> news.tiscali schrieb:
>>
>>> How do you install a Gui, small and fast, with Ubuntu server?
>> I wonder why you ever want to have a GUI on an *server*?
>> Who should see and use it?
>
> I'm thinking of doing that just so I can run firefox to talk sense
> to the ADSL modem, as it uses html frames :(
>
> Unless there's some way to teach linux to let another box look at
> the modem IP:80 on a eth0:1 dev or something?

Squid?